Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I have received permission from our wives to take a one-week cycling vacation in April or May. Given the weather in Wisconsin during this time of year can be dicey, he and I thought we'd take one day to drive somewhere where the weather would be a bit more pleasant.

So, my question is where is the best late March/early April riding within one day's drive from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

We'd like well-paved, rural roads (we're spoiled in Wisconsin), terrain that isn't too hilly, and someplace probably south. I'd thought the Ozarks might be nice, but I understand the hills might kill us (we're spoiled and old). We wouldn't mind moving once or twice during the week to find new routes or scenery, but we don't want to make it a driving vacation either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As always, thanks.

kg1

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
If you are looking for well-paved, relatively flat roads, McLean county (Bloomington/Normal)in central Illinois just may be nirvana for you. It may not be as far south as you'd like, but the roads are great. It's only about a 5 hour drive for you I think.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Question

kg1 said:
take a one-week cycling vacation in April or May.

So, my question is where is the best late March/early April riding within one day's drive from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.kg1
Can you clarify. Are you looking for a warm training destination within one days drive for a weekend training trip or are you looking for a destination for the cycling vacation itself. You begin with April or May and end with late March / early April so I'm confused about what you need.

If you're looking for a week of riding from a base camp in April/May then I'd go to the Black Hills in South Dakota. If you're looking for a warmer training weekend, I'd look for a supported event in Ill, Ind, Iowa, or Missouri and register for it.

If you don't want to go to South Dakota because of the Janklow issue (I'm with you on that one which is why I bring it up) then I'd schedule for May and do Banf and Jasper Alberta Canada. Check out Adventure Cycling magazine two issue back.

Scot

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the confusion

Scot_Gore said:
Can you clarify. Are you looking for a warm training destination within one days drive for a weekend training trip or are you looking for a destination for the cycling vacation itself. You begin with April or May and end with late March / early April so I'm confused about what you need.

If you're looking for a week of riding from a base camp in April/May then I'd go to the Black Hills in South Dakota. If you're looking for a warmer training weekend, I'd look for a supported event in Ill, Ind, Iowa, or Missouri and register for it.

If you don't want to go to South Dakota because of the Janklow issue (I'm with you on that one which is why I bring it up) then I'd schedule for May and do Banf and Jasper Alberta Canada. Check out Adventure Cycling magazine two issue back.

Scot
Sorry about the confusion. We are in the early stages of planning, and I think the dates will likely be April/May.

We are looking for a week of riding from a base camp, though I suppose we could move the base camp once during the week.

Thanks for the reminder of the Janklow issue, and thanks for your recommendations. My wife and I honeymooned in Banf in February, and I don't think I have seen a more beautiful setting. Are there decent roads for road biking there, or is it mostly freeway and National park (or the Canadian equivalent)?

Again, thanks.

kg1

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Here's some suggestions...

Brown County down in Indiana has nice rolling hills and should be pretty that time of year.

http://www.browncounty.com/

If you want to mix it up a little with some road and offroad then the Land Between the Lakes region in KY is nice. I've done a couple of MTB camping trips down there and really like it. There are some very nice scenic roads through the park too.

http://www.lbl.org

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Canada

The Golden Triangle route may be a good choice for you. I think there's an organizied event for it in May as well.

http://www.canadatrails.ca/biking/bc/goldentriangle.html

As well as the Golden Triangle, I've read good things about 1A to Lake Louise and then Ice Fields Parkway to Jasper.

Between the 2 routes, should be a good solid week of cycling.

Good luck
Scot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts