Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided to go custom build and looking for a fairly stout rim. After doing some research i've come up with DT rr440, Hed C2, or the Velocity a23. Any thoughts on which would build the stiffest most durable rim out of the three or maybe I'm missing one?

Thanks....D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For big guys like us, I think the Kinlin XC279 or Pacenti SL23 would be better options. Their profiles are a bit more versatile than the options you mentioned.

The C2 has a great finish, but its relatively heavy. The A23 is pretty so so and has a somewhat inconsistent finish.
Thanks, would you recommend 32/28 or 28/24 spoke count at my weight?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
The HED C2 has been known to build stiff wheels; maybe too stiff for some. Its been doing just fine under my manly weight.:)

The Pacenti is next on my list to try.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can get the C2's a little cheaper (local connection) but the Pacenti's sound great as well. I was thinking either Revs or Super Comps all around but maybe using comps on the drive side rear, any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Thanks, would you recommend 32/28 or 28/24 spoke count at my weight?
Your weight is only part of the picture. Type of riding, the roads, your power, and if you are 'light on the bike' or not are also big factors.
200 isn't that heavy and 28 would likely be okay for normal road riding on decent roads but I'd err on the side of caution with 32 in the back unless the factors other than weight are favorable towards not stressing wheels. A few extra spokes won't slow you down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your weight is only part of the picture. Type of riding, the roads, your power, and if you are 'light on the bike' or not are also big factors.
200 isn't that heavy and 28 would likely be okay for normal road riding on decent roads but I'd err on the side of caution with 32 in the back unless the factors other than weight are favorable towards not stressing wheels. A few extra spokes won't slow you down.
Light on the bike, some fairly good hills, sprinter by trade, and occasionally surprised by a pothole. Really a mountain biker at heart but looking to train and some fast paced group rides in the very distant future.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
In your opening post you indicate your desire for "...the stiffest, most durable wheel...."
this to me means butted 1.8/2.0 spokes.

You could mix the Revs and the Super Comps but you will be doing that for other reasons than stiffness or durability.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
In your opening post you indicate your desire for "...the stiffest, most durable wheel...."
this to me means butted 1.8/2.0 spokes.

You could mix the Revs and the Super Comps but you will be doing that for other reasons than stiffness or durability.

Yeah busted the weight weenie comes out in me once in awhile. I really do enjoy lighter wheels and I'm trying to achieve a good mix of weight and durability.

Oh and in my original post I said I was looking for a stiff and durable rim not the stiffest most durable wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Unless you have a history of busting reasonably laced wheels, I believe 24/28 with 1.8/2.0 and 2x/3x should give you the balance between weight and durability you are looking for when laced to an appropriate hub.
You could go less conservativelly and start mixing up lighter gauge or bladed spokes for the front and rear NDS if you want to favor weight loss more than durability. Although I personally dont see any real benefit other than placebo in doing so for a group ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unless you have a history of busting reasonably laced wheels, I believe 24/28 with 1.8/2.0 and 2x/3x should give you the balance between weight and durability you are looking for when laced to an appropriate hub.
You could go less conservativelly and start mixing up lighter gauge or bladed spokes for the front and rear NDS if you want to favor weight loss more than durability. Although I personally dont see any real benefit other than placebo in doing so for a group ride.
Yeah your probably right I should stick with a 1.8/2.0. Are local group rides aren't a tour through the county but basically a race with attacks and they won't wait up for you. I really want to be able to run with them so I don't want really heavy wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I know exactly what you mean! But, unfortunately the answer is not in a few grams worth of wheel weight.
Now if you were to drop 30 lbs and go down to 170 lbs then you will start seeing a difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I'm going to try out the Archetype unless someone has some reason I shouldn't. Now to figure out some reasonable priced semi light hubs.

Thanks everyone for the help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.