Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of deciding which bike to buy. So far I have narrowed it down to....
-Trek 1200
-Giant OCR 2
-Fuji Newest
-Felt F80
They all seem to have the same components and the same price, I was wondering if anyone could help me decide which is the better bike. I have read the reviews and each seems to be a 4-5 on the rating scale. Thanks alot for any suggestions.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a Felt F-80 2005, and it's a good bike (if you don't mind about 100 Felt stickers all over it). But for me, the angles are a little too steep. I just found out I have a ruptured disc in my back, and it makes for an uncomfortable ride. If you have no back problems, go for it. There's nothing ground-breaking about it, but it is a good platform to build from. Good component selection except for the bottom bracket. Had to replace mine after only 100 miles. Terrible that they put that thing in there. I don't even remember what brand it was, but it was CHEAP. But replaced it with a shimano one, and things are good.

But they all seem like a good choice, just ride them first, as they all do not fit the same. And whatever you, make sure you get fitted properly.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The best way to help make a decision is to figure out what it will be used for. Make a list of what you *need* and what you'd *like*. With the same budget I chose the Surly Crosscheck because it is versatile, steel framed, the right price and has decent componentry. I haven't got it yet so I don't really know if I made the best decision, but given the information I had I am confident in my decision. That is based on countless searches and talking to many, many different people. When I test rode it it felt gooood. :)

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
You'll get some good pointers in "buying a bike on a budget" (separate thread) because the bottom line is that in this price range, there's no clear winners and losers... no "better bike." That's especially true if, as you say, you're talking essentially the same components on each.

You probably like the looks of one better. No problem with factoring that in. They may fit a bit different (the Giant, for example, has a sloping TT. They are all made by reputable companies. So, don't overthink it, and good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.