Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride mountain bikes. I am on the verge of buying a road bike. I want to use my Sidi dominator mtb shoes. I use crank brothers egg beaters on my mountain bike.... it would be nice to use the same cleats.

What are the better options for clipless that work with sidi dominator treads?

How are the crank brothers road clipless? Any weaknesses/downsides to them for road cycling?

Why do road cyclists use such large platformed clip in pedals?

thanks

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
long version:

When you say road clipless I assume you mean the quattro pedal. The idea is stabilzation and surface area with the quattro cleat you can't use. I use eggbeaters on my road bike. I'd say stick with the eggbeaters to avoid the risk of tread interference. No issue switching between systems that way as well. i've had both quattros and eggbeaters and like the eggbeaters more. I'm not sure if it's just the look, but I've had a better time with them and the design, while not as smooth, is certainly more durable. my only gripe with the eggbeaters is that without the platform I was used to with the quattros, they are a little vague to find with your foot and clip in. At the same time, I find the eggbeaters easier to clip into without the interference of the pedal body.

Short version:

If you like the eggs you got, get some more. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
I'm using CB Candy with my Sidi shoes and love 'em. My ride is fraught with danger, so I like a little platform so I can unclip when approaching intersections, groups of scooters or if I see a car looking like it's going to do something stupid (spidey sense)...I can use the platform unclipped for a short distance. Though, I did have a fall the other day when I got spooked by a scooter and fell the direction I was still clipped in on. Not time to react. Still, it saves me quite often.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Totally agree. Ride what you like. I recently just switched to Eggbeaters and am really enjoying them. I've ridden mtn shoes and pedals since I bought my first road bike a few years ago. Firsy SPDs, then Speedplay Frogs, now CBs. I don't see much of an advantage to going to road specific shoes and pedals. A high quality mtn shoe will be just as stiff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.