Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a consensus "BEST" road shoe?

I commute about 22 miles each way to work each day, 4 days per week on my Look 595. I have speed play pedals. It's time to upgrade my old, worn-out shoes.

I recently purchased the SIDI Dragon for my mountain bike and I like it's fit.

Thanks!

bikerneil

· Banned
1,844 Posts
I've used sidi's, dmt's, shimano, northwave and now louis garneau. Good luck-- this could be almost as bad as asking advice on a saddle. I had a lot of knee pain w/ the 2nd pair of dmt's (ultimax), northwave's were too wide for me (and their new anchoring device for the top buckle SUCKS-snapped two of them clipping into my pedals) and I still had knee pain.
Tried everything but the shoes, finally tried the LG's and no more knee pain. Either I got lucky or it was the shoes/hole drillings.
If you order them online, you may want to use someone who has a liberal return policy.

good luck.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
What i have run into

bikerneil said:

I commute about 22 miles each way to work each day, 4 days per week on my Look 595. I have speed play pedals. It's time to upgrade my old, worn-out shoes.

Thanks!

bikerneil
Alot of shops that carry shoes have a limited # of sizes and stock. I can see and sometimes feel the shoes and try and make a determination if the closure system will work for me or if the toe box area will work but because they don'e have the right size or model i want i have to go 'net.

You will find the best prices online, but you really need to know which MFGer will work for you. I used to ALWAYS buy Adidas shoes because of the way they seemed to cradle my foot. I own 2 pair of Adidas road shoes and so far am not as happy with them as I was with the Sidi Energy that they replaced. On a side note, can anyone explain why a 47 y/o man's foot would grow 1/2 size longer and nothing else did?

Since you own Sidi MTB shoes, try the road shoes. It really is the only shoe you know at this point. Stick with what you know.

· Registered
381 Posts
Take a look at the Specialized Pro Road Carbon. They recently were rated very highly in Bicycling magazine, and they are rated very highly here on RBR as well.

Fit is of course the most important factor, but they do make wide, regular, and narrow widths, so hopefully you should find a size that fits. My LBS did not stock the narrow, but were willing to order them for me if I wanted.

I can't say that I have a lot of experience with different brands/styles of road shoes, but they seemed like a good option to try. After a month of riding in mine, I am happy with the choice.

Later,

Jay B.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Specialized

I saw the Specialized and have not yet tried it on. I saw that is has the "Varus wedge" insole. I was concerned this might introduce knee issues that I have not had with my current Shimano shoes. Has anyone had issues with this Varus wedge and angle that it induces?

I plan to try some on today. I agree with point above - this is a product to buy at a real LBS, with samples on your feet. I will not be buying on-line. I am not one of the many morons out there that go in to LBS, try on their shoes, take their time, then go home and buy on-line. Those people suck.

thanks.

· Registered
5,671 Posts
Shimano's new shoes with the custom fit options are pretty nice-custom molds the footbed plus uppers to fit around your foot, including heel cup. This is done in-store. Rates higher in reviews than the Specialized.

· Registered
78 Posts
If you like the SIDI mtb shoe, I'd try their road shoes. I figured out my size at the store and bought a pair of SIDI Ergo II on ebay for less than half retail price. This is an awesome shoe (for me), carbon sole, light weight, fits like a glove. I use it from commuting to 8 hour rides. I am using a Specialized insert, which I highly recommend for any road shoe.

· Registered
47 Posts
back in the day i wore Diadora's but that was another time.....

anyways nowadays ive been wearing the Sidi's and they are excellent. They are wider than most other shoes which is a plus. and the heal pads are replaceable which is great too as some others are not.(such as DMT)
Im using the Genius 5's and im also using speedplay pedals. I opted to not bother with the carbon sole Sidi's as they were useless
And when i have the coffee cups on the zero's it aint too bad walking them

· Registered
1,301 Posts
I doubt there is a single "best" road shoe, at least not for every rider or intended purpose (or budget!). Unfortunately, most magazine "ratings" are essentially ad-driven fluff pieces comparing only a few shoes. I find user reviews on BB's a little better, but only you can decide on proper fit. I happen to like Sidi's, but also have some Shimano's which fit me well too. Both tend to run pretty consistent in sizing (e.g. 45 fits me across several styles- not true of some other brands).
Since you like your Dragon, I would try Sidi road shoes. Of course, there is nothing wrong with wearing MTB shoes for commuting- esp. if you need to walk some getting from/to your bike. I often choose MTB pedals/shoes for cycling events involving a lot of hoofin'.

· Registered
1,194 Posts
Take an afternoon off from EVERYTHING so there's no distractions. Go to the best-stocked cycling store in your area. Be a pest and try on every damned shoe in your size. Try it, walk in it, maybe even make 'em put you on a trainer. may the best shoe win.

Or, spend a zillion bucks and get custom shoes made.

Or be Lance.

· It's Good For You!
436 Posts
I have the Specialized Pro Carbon and really like them. I have another pair of the Pro Carbons for MTB'ing. Very comfortable. I have never had issues with the varus wedge insole. In fact, I use it instead of my orthodics. If you have had good luck with Sidi for mtb'ing, then I would get another pair for road riding. Shoe fit is pretty important...it can make or break your ride. One shoe may work for one person and not for another. So use the shoe that fits the best. Most other sports are the same way with fit...ski boots, rock shoes, etc.

· Registered
123 Posts
I use to wear top end Sidi road shoes. I found them to be too hot in the summer and their toe box was a little too constricting for me. I tried some inexpensive Shimano road shoes and loved them. Great ventilation and a bigger toe box. I will upgrade to more expensive Shimano shoes when my current ones need replacing. I think various bike shoe manufacturers have caught up with Sidi over the past 5 years or so in terms of fit and comfort. Depending on your needs, you may want different types of shoes or sizes for summer versus winter, or racing versus touring.

G

·
bikerneil said:
I saw the Specialized and have not yet tried it on. I saw that is has the "Varus wedge" insole. I was concerned this might introduce knee issues that I have not had with my current Shimano shoes. Has anyone had issues with this Varus wedge and angle that it induces?
thanks.
Yeah, I did, but I have the opposite problem than the majority of people so the Varus wedge made things worse. If you had good luck with Sidi mtn bike shoes you are likely to do well with Side road bike shoes - I found them to have a very similar fit.

Nike works well for me, after trying Sidi, Shimano and Specialized first.

· Registered
985 Posts
As it was already said shoes (as other contact points) are very personal thing, but specialized shoes deserve at least a try. Carbon Pro and even Carbon Comp are great shoes. And BTW they are noticable cheaper that shoes of comparable quality from most other manufacturers.

And for most peoples Varus Wedge prevents knee issues, noit causes them (while there is minority that is not comfortable with it)..

bikerneil said:

Thanks!

bikerneil

· Banned
4,302 Posts
bikerneil said:

I plan to try some on today. I agree with point above - this is a product to buy at a real LBS, with samples on your feet. I will not be buying on-line. I am not one of the many morons out there that go in to LBS, try on their shoes, take their time, then go home and buy on-line. Those people suck.

thanks.
Varus wedge is built into the bottom of the sole itself not the insole. The cant was too much for me. I actually got some Lemond LeWedges to lessen the angle.

I've three road shoes, Sidi Genius, Nike Poggios and the Specialized Pro Carbons. The Poggios were my favorite. Super light, super stiff and the upper didn't stretch too much over time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.