Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,it's my first post here.. I am a commuter and long distance rider, from mississauga
I just want to know what is the best route to niagra falls. I heard that there are two options. One is the service road which runs along the lake and the other is hwy 8 . So which one of these would be better. Also what are the cheapest places to stay overnight in niagra falls. Motels ? Bed and breakfast ? What is available up there ?

·
C6Rider
182 Posts
The Service Road

singleandfixed said:
Hi ,it's my first post here.. I am a commuter and long distance rider, from mississauga
I just want to know what is the best route to niagra falls. I heard that there are two options. One is the service road which runs along the lake and the other is hwy 8 . So which one of these would be better. Also what are the cheapest places to stay overnight in niagra falls. Motels ? Bed and breakfast ? What is available up there ?
Hi - I'll answer what I can. I've never ridden Hwy 8, but I do know the Service Road. Last summer we rode from Burlington to Port Dalhousie and back (at least the others did - I had a flat at Jordan Station on the return, and walked most of the way back). Walking for more than 2 hours (in bike shoes, then bare feet, then blistered feet, then bike shoes under the hot sun) wasn't fun. We took the North Service Road, which is so flat, and has very little traffic. I don't put in a lot of time on the bike, but had no trouble with the route. I imagine Hwy 8 would have more hills, but would be shorter as it is much more direct. Despite visiting Niagara Falls more times than I wish to admit, I've never spent the night there - so sorry for not being able to recommend a place to stay. One of my co-workers has ridden to Niagara Falls on numerous occasions - I'll ask him about it tomorrow.

·
Roadbike Rider
1,293 Posts
Take the inland route

I would not ride Hwy 8, way too many cars. I would not ride the service road because it's too close to the highway and is also quite busy.

If you head up on top of the escarpment there are lots of quiet rural roads. The Mud Road, Fly Road combo is good. Make a right at Campen and take scenic country roads like Spring Creek, Sawmill, Maple, Canboro and Port Robinson. Take the Port Robinson Ferry and then there are lots of great roads into the falls. There I would take the route South of the Welland River into Chippawa and then take the Parkway North to the Falls.

Climbing the escarpment is something you have to do sooner or later so you might as well do it sooner and enjoy the ride. My suggestions are not the shortest route but the only real hill is at the beginning and the roads are quiet and enjoyable

Get a Niagara Region Cycling Map to research a good route.
http://www.niagararegion.ca/exploring/cycle/bikemap.aspx

You might also check mapmyride.com. They should have some good route options

Email me if you have any questions or need a B & B in Welland.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i agree with chainstay, i rode highway 8 2 days ago and it was 1 lane and full of traffic. the shoulder is also gravel so that doesnt help much either in case you get into a jam. the escarpment is good

·
Eager Learner
233 Posts
Man, I used to live on Highway 8, in Grimsby. I think the guys have it right. You COULD ride it - it's a very nice road, but up on the Escarpment would be way cool. Some nice views near Stoney Creek from up there - the road is right on the edge. But, I'm talking about Ridge Road here. You could then move out to Mud/Fly as described earlier.

Sigh, I miss Canada. (Living in NC, in the humid, sweltering heat). :(

·
Registered
868 Posts
Does any one have a copy of the map used by The Ride to Conquer Cancer? I don't know the area at all and a detailed map with detailed instructions would be great. I did peruse Map My Ride but I couldn't find anything that would look like if foot the bill. Plus it would be nice if you could pick a start city and a destination city and find a map.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.