Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 speed Specialized Allez Elite Double. Im a junior and weigh 115 pounds. For me durability is not much of an issue. I also want to buy at my local bike store and not have someone build my wheels.

I plan to buy something semi-aero and semi-lightweight. I know i won't be able to buy anything better for less than 600$.

So far, they have recommended bontrager race lites, mavic cosmic elites.

Also, if anybody knows about wheel restrictions for juniors please post. ty

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Both wheels have their ups and downs. The Bontys are not all that aero (21mm front, 23mm rear) nor all that light (1745 grams). The Mavics are more aero (30mm) but quite heavy (1900 grams). Why not look at something like the Easton EA70s? Rims are 26.5mm deep and stated weight is 1635 grams.

Folks often point out that Mavic parts can be hard to come by if something breaks.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
since you're budget constrained, why not check out the neuvation wheels on this site-the RSL5s are under 1500 grams for not much $; you could even get a set of carbon 50s for around $600 on their sale. An LBS will service them the same as any other wheel if they need it (an ocassional spoke repair-maybe once/year will run $20...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wait?

I looked at both the rol race sl and the neuvations. Would it be worth the wait and by more expensive wheels as they would be my racing wheels until i get another bike. I looked at fulcrum race 3 and rolf echelon. Are those worse choices for more money when compared to the rols/neuvations.

Also, am i correct that most of camponglo wheels are "not" compatible with my 9 speed shimano.

Does anybody know any wheel restraints for juniors?
on one forum some guy said that you can not have carbon rims or have rims + 32 mm

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
American Classic. 350 You can pick them up on ebay pretty cheap and they are very light @1420gm. Downside is you have to replace the front bearings once in a while. The micro hubs are so small and so light that there has to be a down side:)
I've been riding them for the past 4 years and use them as my daily wheel. Plenty strong for me at 165lbs and hold a true as well as my Mavic Elites (which I just sold.)

The wheels are standard build using real spokes and real nipples so you don't need to get any fancy tools to true them up other than having a truing stand and the correct spoke tool.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
the neuvations are individually bought so you can mix and match wheels (see their wheel comparision chart). You could get the sl5 set given your light weight and get a nice set of sub-1500 gram clinchers. Re buying over the internet, for $10/wheel or so you can get a wheel protection program-a 2 year coverage over damage due to crashes etc (which is in addition to a standard warranty due to defect). All in all, a pretty good deal. Re ceramic bearings, I don't it's worth the extra price for you-they are supposed to reduce drag, perhaps giving an extra few watts of savings at speed, but not worth it for a budget minded purchase.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've bought over the internet and eBay without issues. However, if you're limited to local shops - which is good for local business - there are good options there too. I bought Easton Tempest II clinchers (1560g) for under $500 a year ago and Ascent II (1490g) were the same cost from a local shop. I've also see AC Sprint 350 for under $600 locally. It's nice to have a local shop to walk into and help with maintenance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.