Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which shoes are the best for a high instep (top of foot), high arch, narrow heel and regular (D) forefoot? I've been pretty happy with my Specialized BG Sport MTB shoes but I have to loosen the ratchet strap completely on my new BG Comp road shoes to keep my feet from going numb. I've tried a few Shimano and Sidis, but neither fit as well as the Specialized. Can somebody suggest a better alternative?

·
Registered
63 Posts
tsvaughn said:
Which shoes are the best for a high instep (top of foot), high arch, narrow heel and regular (D) forefoot? I've been pretty happy with my Specialized BG Sport MTB shoes but I have to loosen the ratchet strap completely on my new BG Comp road shoes to keep my feet from going numb. I've tried a few Shimano and Sidis, but neither fit as well as the Specialized. Can somebody suggest a better alternative?

I would recommend just getting a shoe that felt relatively comfortable and get some good foot beds. It will make a world of difference.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
I've got such a high instep & arch that i look like i've got a cloven hoof.

my brother's feet are even worse (his instep/arches are so bad that images of his feet were in a medical journal ;)).

anyway, i've used carnacs for years (lemonds, legends, and quartz) which were/are comfy.

just got a pair of shimano r-215. haven't used them yet, but you've already ruled them out.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
botto said:
I've got such a high instep & arch that i look like i've got a cloven hoof.

my brother's feet are even worse (his instep/arches are so bad that images of his feet were in a medical journal ;)).

anyway, i've used carnacs for years (lemonds, legends, and quartz) which were/are comfy.

just got a pair of shimano r-215. haven't used them yet, but you've already ruled them out.
Ditto to Carnac; also Northwave.

·
7,746 Posts
Two_Wheels_Teifke said:
I would recommend just getting a shoe that felt relatively comfortable and get some good foot beds. It will make a world of difference.

What kind of advice is that? He asks what shoes might do better accommodating a high instep... probably because he's having trouble FINDING a comfortable (ie., fitting) shoe. And foot beds not only won't help, they'll probably cut out even more forefoot volume.

·
7,746 Posts
The question was high INSTEP as well as high ARCH, and was really seeking a recommendation, not just a "get a shoe that's comfortable and put an insole in it" restatement of the obvious, seems to me...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Insoles have always been problematic for me

They push my already high instep further into the top of the shoe and I don't like the extra heel lift. This is all based on running and casual shoe experience. I even bought some custom orthotics a few years ago and couldn't run in them due to the exceesive heel lift. Another waste of money on medical "science"...

That said, I tried the blue Superfeet insole yesterday and it's much thinner than the old Superfeets with less heel lift. I'll give it a try in some Carnacs and Shimanos. I also ordered longer ratchet straps for the BG Comps. At least I can wear them loose.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My response wasn't meant to be inflammatory, I'm just trying to relate some personal experience. I too have high arches/high insteps. While certain shoes just plain didn't fit me (northwave, carnac), Shimano and Sidi shoes fit relatively well with the exception of the arch problem. However, in other respects they fit the general shape of my feet. I went to a person who specialized in orthotics for cyclists and this fixed the problem right away. I never found shoes that fit perfect off the shelf, and this was best solution I found.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
jtolleson said:
The question was high INSTEP as well as high ARCH, and was really seeking a recommendation, not just a "get a shoe that's comfortable and put an insole in it" restatement of the obvious, seems to me...
Clearly you don't understand foot issues. Shoes come w/ generally useless insoles. Some people get lucky and are fine with the shoes as they come; however others aren't so lucky. If you use the search function you'll find that out. Unusual foot morphology, such as an unusually high arch or instep, makes it more unlikely to find a good fit. Shoe lasts are built to fit average feet, as interpreted by the shoe manufacturer. They don't make shoes to fit unusually high insteps or arches.

To the OP: if you've had continuing issues w/ your feet, looking for other shoes isn't a bad idea; however keep in mind if you've been through a number of other manufacturer's shoes without success, then custom orthotics, off the shelf insoles, or summat my be your only recourse. You prolly already realize how much riding can suck when your feet hurt.

FWIW, people here have had good luck w/ Superfeet, SOLE, and Foot Fitting to name a few. Also, an insole may reduce the volume in your shoe, so if you go the insole route, you may need to size up your shoes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts