Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group, my first post.

I ride with a bicycle club in Canada about 100km on Sundays, I do some other riding on my own.

There are so many manufacturers of jerseys using a variety of materials, I need some help.

Which jersey material is the best for summer short sleeve? Perhaps, what the Tour de France riders jerseys are made of would be a good starting place?

Thank you,

Canuckophile :D

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,673 Posts
welcome to the forum...i'm sure you'll get lots of great advice about lots of things.

but really...how can anyone here answer your question? like kerry would reply "how long is a piece of string?" we have no idea of your size/shape. we have no idea what kind of material you like. full zip? 3/4 zip? who knows...you're gonna have to make your own decision on this one.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Personally I like Pearl Izumi jerseys, they are very good and very reasonably priced.
Of course there are better jerseys out there, but the PI's work, and save your some money for upgrades!:thumbsup:

·
30 mpdb
1,001 Posts
I think most brands' polyester fabric will be similar, having some type of moisture-wicking weave to it. Some are more pronounced than others (i.e. Castelli's waffle), but they all seem to do a good enough job. Fit and finish will obviously vary among manufacturers, so finding a jersey that fits my body type would be the first place I would start. May be worthwhile to use a decent base-layer as well.

ps - I know you're talking short sleeve, but there's absolutely nothing like a sleeveless jersey on a hot summer day.

·
Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
14,606 Posts
My favorites are a couple of Nalini pro team jerseys I bought 16 years ago. They wick well when sweating (lined with thousands of tiny loops of thread), but block wind well enough to wear 3 seasons per year in northern Italy (with arm warmers in early Spring, late Fall). The pockets have very tight elastic so camera, cellphone, etc don't fall out. And they are durable as hell and still look new. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi fellows, thank you for the responses.

Based on a few hours of research, I have my eye on this jersey, Pearl Izumi P.R.O. LTD Climbers Jersey. I am not sure what a "climbing jersey" means, but it seems to be okay. However, I am still open to suggestions!

In addition, what do you consider a base layer and what does it do?

I where layers on cold days, is that what they are referring to?

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Hi fellows, thank you for the responses.

Based on a few hours of research, I have my eye on this jersey, Pearl Izumi P.R.O. LTD Climbers Jersey. I am not sure what a "climbing jersey" means, but it seems to be okay. However, I am still open to suggestions!

In addition, what do you consider a base layer and what does it do?

I where layers on cold days, is that what they are referring to?

I believe the climber's jersey is designed to try and keep you cool while there is little airflow over you (while you're climbing slowly, there's not much evaporative heat transfer.)

Base layers should be lightweight and wicking for summer. The idea is to get the moisture away from your skin and keep you dry and cool. For winter, base layers are usually wicking but insulating (under armor is not too bad for winter.)

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
something i noticed with castelli jerseys is that the white doesn't block out the sun. I have a castelli tan in cursive on my back atm lol.
Sounds like a photo worth posting. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
something i noticed with castelli jerseys is that the white doesn't block out the sun. I have a castelli tan in cursive on my back atm lol.
ok i looked at it again and it is the opposite of what i said. the white actually reflects the sun well while the colored mesh wasn't quite as good. the thing though is that it doesn't let in 100% of the sun and my skin gets a blotchy tan with or without sun block.

the castelli tan is noticeable but isn't easy to see unless i traced it with photoshop or something

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi group, my first post.

I ride with a bicycle club in Canada about 100km on Sundays, I do some other riding on my own.

There are so many manufacturers of jerseys using a variety of materials, I need some help.

Which jersey material is the best for summer short sleeve? Perhaps, what the Tour de France riders jerseys are made of would be a good starting place?

Thank you,

Canuckophile :D
Does your club have a jersey? That should be your first choice!

I've been really happy with a club jersey from Louis Garneau, with a trim performance/race fit and whatever fabric they use for those.

So much of this is personal preference. I recommend trying on a few to see what you like. In Canada, MEC has a bunch of good bike stuff.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Yeah true. My friend recently bought one, he did some research online as well. Forgot to ask him the name of brand though, but it was quite good.
Dredging up a old thread and having links for jerseys in your signature.
Nice

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are many manufacturers of cycling jerseys. I tend to stick to high end clothing because when you ride a lot (like 100 km rides) having the right clothing makes a difference on how you feel on a bike. Here is a link to some top pieces of clothing 2013 Men's Sleeveless Cycling Jersey's | Short Sleeve Jerseys In my opinion ASSOS is the nicest clothing----it feels soft against your skin and fits very well. GORE and CRAFT are more geared towards handling weather and less towards performance. Louis Garneau and Castelli are performance oriented, while I think you find some of the best deals with Castelli

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.