Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - I don't race, I just go on 15-20 mile rides twice a week. I just bought a new bike with a Selle Italia Slr saddle. Now my butt hurts. I don't have proper shorts though, so i'm wondering what has a lot or the most effective padding? Should I go bib here? I know the fit is going to play a huge role, but I'm wondering specifically about the padding or chamois... Any opinions on what's the most comfortable? I'll drop the money on the Assos if it's really that comfortable, any help is appreciated...

·
Registered
65 Posts
For what it's worth, I think Pearl Izumi stuff is pretty darn good, and won't break the bank like our Swiss friends. My experiences with their (PI's ) stuff is that it is really durable, even their low-end stuff.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Saddle?

Did your butt hurt with the saddle on your old bike? Sounds to me like the new saddle doesn't suit you. The saddle matters much more than the shorts. The "padding" in shorts isn't really for padding -- it's to prevent chafing. The saddle needs to fit your butt, and that model might not be right for you. If you still have the old bike, try putting the old saddle on the new bike and see if it works better.

·
I'm workin' on it....
255 Posts
+1 for the Pearl Izumi stuff. I have the P.R.O. shorts and bibs, and have been really happy with the comfort and durability of them. Some day I'll try Assos, as it sounds like they are worth the money, but too spendy for me right now.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
logann said:
Hi there - I don't race, I just go on 15-20 mile rides twice a week. I just bought a new bike with a Selle Italia Slr saddle. Now my butt hurts. I don't have proper shorts though, so i'm wondering what has a lot or the most effective padding? Should I go bib here? I know the fit is going to play a huge role, but I'm wondering specifically about the padding or chamois... Any opinions on what's the most comfortable? I'll drop the money on the Assos if it's really that comfortable, any help is appreciated...
You need a good chamois for use with the SLR since it has next to no padding. Get near the top of the line in Pearl Izumi, Voler or the high end Performance shorts and you should be fine. No need for Assos unless you have a lot of money to spend on shorts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.