Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· 'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,917 Posts
mavic skewers aren't bad, but they get loose and rattle as they get older. as bdaghisallo1 said, go w/ a closed cam design like shimano or campy...they generate lots of clamping power and will last and last and last...
shimano=$
campy=$$$

· Registered
8,413 Posts
I like the Rolf skewers that came with my Prima Elans. Nice and light TI and hold well. It is as if they are both laterally stiff and vertically compliant. :)

I actually use my Rolf skewers on my EA90's too. The skewers Easton provided are a fair bit heavier.

· Registered
707 Posts
longhorn31 said:
The problem with Sheldon's input is that it is very dated and unfortunately for the cycling world will never be updated.

Most of the newer "boutique" skewers have done away with large cams and with the plastic curved cam seat in favor of aluminum and brass. They simply do not have the issues that Sheldon speaks of any more.

· So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
DS1239622 said:
Im a big fan of the KCNC skewers. Ive had zero problems with them and they are light and IMO stylish.
+1
My OE Campy skewers were quite porky, ay 120-130g, and also lacked a satisfying, positive locking action.

The KCNC are just 40-45g. Very slightly more finicky on adjustment, but barely so.

· Registered
134 Posts
for weight weenies, i like the extralight alien2s. i've been racing on them the whole season without a glich. the spring staying on the ends is a nice bonus

for non-ww, i have to agree that campy and shimano are great. i have campy QRs on my daily trainers

· old school drop out
1,578 Posts
I agree with the other that Shimano skewers are hard to beat. However, if you have breezer-style dropouts in the rear of your frame (somewhat common on steel frames) most enclosed cam QRs do not work well. The frame interferes with the offset QR arm. I like Salsa skewers with this style of dropout (or any style of drop our really).

On the other hand, if you want to clamp your bike into a trainer, exposed cam QRs (like Salsa) do not work well. You really need enclosed cams for the trainer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.