Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This will not be an urban bike. I have an SS 29er for rougher riding. This will be on road riding for 10-40 miles. I would prefer lighter rather than tougher. Also, I am looking for a comfortable ride, so probably a steel bike.

· Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not interested in almuminum, so that leaves the Lemond, Masi, Bianchi, Jamis, etc. Are there any that really stick out as having lighter wheels and/or a better crank than the others?

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
dbo said:
I'm not interested in almuminum, so that leaves the Lemond, Masi, Bianchi, Jamis, etc. Are there any that really stick out as having lighter wheels and/or a better crank than the others?
At this price point, not really... Once you get over $1200 or so, you start getting into Sugino 75/Dura Ace cranksets and nicer hubs....and even then, you're looking at 14lb-15lb track bikes w/aluminum frames...

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the bikes you are looking. My point is there is very little difference component wise......

Base your decision on emotion or a test ride not components...

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you guys think of the Redline 925? I think it looks like a crank I'd replace, but the bike looks pretty nice. I like the Bullhorn bars and the brakes, it's always something I've wanted. I'm 6'2" though, and I don't know if it would fit me. Are there any bikes similar to it?

· Registered
257 Posts
I ride at least 10-15 miles a day commuting, 20+ on my days off on my Paddy Wagon. Very non-track geometry, good for longer distances. Nice steel tubes too. Only changes I made were replacing the stock no-name brakes with Veloce. (Cranks are crap, but you're mostly paying for the frame)

· Registered
92 Posts
I love my Capo!

The Cannondale Capo is very nice. I know you said No to the Aluminum, but I love it. I routinely do 35 or so miles on it.

Its got 25 cm tires on it so the ride is very comfortable. It also comes with front and read brakes so, you're ready to go out of the box.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you guys for your help. I read some ho-hum review's of the Redline so I won't get that. To solorider: My dad has a Capo already and that is the only Aluminum bike I would consider because of the CAAD frame. I have a CAAD9 R5 already so I know how nice that is, but as stupid or petty as it sounds I don't want the same bike as my dad. I have narrowed it down to the Jamis or the Raleigh I think. The Lemond would be nice if I could find an older one. I know that LBS's around me have the Jamis also, so I can test ride those two. The sputnik's weight attracts me, but the Raleigh's price attracts me just as much. If I bought it, I'd spend the rest on upgrades, which I couldn't do on the Jamis. Does anyone know a weight on the Raleigh?

· Registered
25 Posts
Two more options:

Bianchi San Jose - don't have one, but I have a Volpe, which is an almost identical frame and I love it. Really comfortable bike.

Schwinn Madison - I just ordered one, so I don't have much experience with it yet. IMO it is the most attractive frameset (on a complete bike) in this price range.

I never did get a chance to check out the Jamis Sputnik...but it also looks like a really cool bike...maybe more geared toward smooth road / track riding than commuting.

· Registered
428 Posts
Bianchi Pista? I love mine...

decent parts spec, good frame...got mine in chrome last year for only $469 brand new here in Austin.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.