Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new training bike this past week. A Specialized S-Works Amira. I got it shipped half built, and had to remove the stem bolts to put the bars on.

At first I was a little perplexed but that didn't last very long.

Specialized came up with a really cool tool to that makes putting the bars onto the stem a breeze. I took a few pictures to explain : Lex Albrecht: Did I Just I Fall in Love With a Stem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The clip might be handy for somebody who travels a lot and puts bikes in boxes etc- ie wants to remove the handle bars more often than the rest of us.
But once the bar is installed is it ready required to stay on? I'd take it off and keep it in the box.

What I like about specialized stems, and I don't know if the OP's stem has this-and that is the shimmed stem rise adjustment. Not only would it help distribute stress arounf the steerer but also gives great position tuning. I recently adjusted the stem on my girl friend's bike, she's a first time nice road bike owner. With most stems you get two choices, stem facing down (large drop) or stem facing up (high bars-looks dorky). However by reversing the stem you get two choices for each stem direction, I think they are +8,+4,-4,-8? In Erin's case she liked the stem up with less rise for +4. Hopefully once she gets comfortable we can swap the stem and go for the next step down in rise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.