Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what are people's opinions of the best handlebar tape for cross racing? I've been wondering if the Benotto cellotape might work well if it's even available anymore - durable, wouldn't soak up water, easy to clean, and light ;-).

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
mlove61 said:
I've been wondering if the Benotto cellotape might work well if it's even available anymore - durable, wouldn't soak up water, easy to clean, and light ;-).
You can still find it on eBay, but I wouldn't use it for CX. I find it slippery when wet and harsh all the time. I've tried Salsa Goma (rubber over cork) and found that to be too hard and not very durable. I've go some new all-rubber Cinelli tape on my commuter that seems better.

Honestly, good 'ol Cinelli cork is my preference. Its grippy in all conditions, cleans up easily and is reasonably durable. I ran some similar Colnago branded white cork last season and it held up fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
More than a brand or type of tape.

I like to place longitudinal (along the bar) strips of bar tape at the main contact points where you hand is resting the most, that way you can keep a somehow narrow bar diameter (for better, grip, reach and ergonomics) but add the cushion just where is necesary.

·
eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
Specialized Roubaix tape is what i've got on the Giant now. I like the feel of it - a team mate has been using it and he likes it a ton - i figure i give it a shot...

pretty durable - squishy and grippy - even when wet... not slippery like the cork can get... a wee synthetic feeling coming from cork, but hey - so far it seem to be working (no cross rides on it yet - just loads of commuting).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Whatever happened to the Pearl Izumi Greptile Tape and Glove Combo? That stuff would have really put ole Hincapie in a worse predictament when the steer tube decided to relieve itself of it's duties at Paris-Roubaix.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Another vote for white tape

Back when I started racing bikes, a mentor of mine always ran white tape. When I asked him why his response was, "Because race bikes should have white tape." It cleans up really nicely with soap and water. I wash my bikes after races with buckets of water and soap, so it's no difficulty in having to scrub the tape as well. He used to put new tape on before every road race, but that's a bit much for me. Match it with a white saddle and see people's heads explode at a muddy cross race.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.