Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pez Cycling said:
"The Team CSC Saxo Bank Sports Directors have picked the riders to represent the team in this year's Tour de France which will be kicked off July 5th in Brest:

Fabian Cancellara, Carlos Sastre, Andy Schleck, Frank Schleck, Nicki Sørensen, Jens Voigt, Stuart O'Grady, Kurt Asle Arvesen, and Volodymir Gustov.

Holy moly that's a wrecking crew with infinite possibilities..."
WoW, what a team. Obviously, we are all acquainted with this team, but look at this amazing list of talent.... I might be partial though b/c I have really enjoyed watching the Schleck boys race this year, and Jens V. is one of my favorite riders to watch.

Which brings me to my question: Since teams have raced with their sponsor and not national teams, what is the best team of riders ever brought together for a Grand Tour?

· Registered
1,808 Posts
The 1985 team (Gan? edit;nope, La Vie Claire) with HInault and Lemond comes to mind, no matter who else was on the team.

And on further research, I believe that Steve Bauer and Andy Hampsten were on that team. I love Jens, and Cancellara is a god right now, but I don't think they stack up to La Vie Claire.

· Registered
960 Posts
Thats a good call harlond... I'll give La Vie Claire a +1... Lemond, and Hinault were a tough duo, til they started bickering between themselves... Then they were still a tough duo...

But we also should take into account which teams won the team competition at the Grand Tours... Which I don't believe La Vie Claire won??? I don't know for sure... There might be a mention of the Festina team of the late 90s before getting charged with doping... Someone could argue that Postal/Discovery had one of the Grand Tours locked up for 7 years and that makes them a contender.... Some guys might argue that this season it's Astana... they already have some impressive wins this year...

Don't get me wrong, I love team CSC... Great riders!!! Amazing Talent!!!
And NOBODY gets a race churning like Jens... I love watching him attack...

· Registered
1,808 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:
But we also should take into account which teams won the team competition at the Grand Tours... Which I don't believe La Vie Claire won??? I don't know for sure...
They did win the team classification, with Hinault 1, Lemond 2, and Bauer 10.

· Registered
91 Posts
La Vie Claire '86

The 1986 La Vie Claire team was far and away the greatest Tour de France team of all time.

La Vie Claire placed three riders in the top four on gc and four in the top ten:
1. Lemond
2. Hinault
4. Hampsten
7. Ruttiman

They won five stages with three different stage winners, won the team competition, Hinault took the mountain jersey, and Hampsten took the young rider's jersey.

I love CSC, but there's no comparison.

· Registered
346 Posts
PDM in 1989 were another strong team - they won the Team competion, plus the Green and Polka Dot jerseys, plus the 'combined' jersey.
4. Gert-Jan Theunisse (+Polka Dot Jersey and 1 stage win)
7. Steven Rooks (+Combination Jersey) and 1 stage win
8. Raul Alcala (+1 stage win)
9. Sean Kelly (+Green Jersey)

I still own the PDM jersey that I bought that year as a result of being so impressed by their performance!

· Registered
5,671 Posts
re the 86 la vie claire team, when else did the top 2 on GC - on the same team - drop the rest of the field and climb away to finish ahead of everyone else? Hinault and Lemond on Alpe d'huez-an awesome stage. Zimmerman finished third that stage-5 minutes behind.

· Registered
650 Posts
Banesto (sp?) of a few years ago. Indurain, delgardo, olano i was but a young fella but they seemed to have some pedagree

· Registered
525 Posts
Stasera said:
The 1986 La Vie Claire team was far and away the greatest Tour de France team of all time.

La Vie Claire placed three riders in the top four on gc and four in the top ten:
1. Lemond
2. Hinault
4. Hampsten
7. Ruttiman
Jean-Francois Bernard in 12th was not too bad either and won stage 16

· Registered
6,422 Posts
They could...

JSR said:
They have a dynamite team. They do not have a dynamite GC guy, though, IMHO.

JSR
They could sneak Sastre in there, if he doesn't crack. He has always been a "maybe" GC guy on their team. Same for Schleck the younger (Andy is it? I can never remember which one). So they have a couple of guys who could shoot for the GC, but you're right. No dynamite GC guys, but guys who could pull it off. Maybe. They will have good team support no doubt.

· Registered
40 Posts
Jokull said:
AND they had the best jersey ever too.
I worked at a shop in Ames,IA and the owner ran the Levis' squad of the 1980's out of there. He knew Le Mond pretty well so that is how Hampsten got to ride with LVC in '86. In 1987 once Levis' stopped their sponsorship, his team was sponsored by the Toshiba-Gore Tex team for races in the US. Same jersey as the Euro guys. pretty darn cool.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Stasera said:

1. Lemond
2. Hinault
4. Hampsten
7. Ruttiman

They won five stages with three different stage winners, won the team competition, Hinault took the mountain jersey, and Hampsten took the young rider's jersey.

I love CSC, but there's no comparison.
Even more impressive when you bear in mind that the team was split into the Lemond camp and the Hinault camp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.