Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 1 UP USA, but i feel like is time to change. its getting old, and it hasnt been as good as it used to be.

I am looking for a trainer for hard workouts, where i can sprint, etc.

I am a cat 2 racer, and with a full time job, sometimes i have to spend a lot of time on the trainer.

I have a quarq, so I need a trainer with a pm. I just need one that i cant beat the hell out of it, and enjoy it.

any help will be welcome!

thank you,

·
Registered
985 Posts
I switched to a Lemond Revolution last fall. It is not quiet but is smooth and reliable. No more fried tubes, no more shredded tires. The feel very close to level road without wind.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Kurt Kinetic. I regretted selling my first one. This past week, after losing 10 auctions, I finally won a bid, for $160 shipping included. Compared to retail at $330 or more, this is a deal. It's the end of the trainer season and people are unloading them. I encourage you to go the eBay route. I put a $200 limit on my bid and stuck to it.

The Kurt Kinetic has a road-like realistic resistance curve. the fluid chamber design is guaranteed bulletproof, and the base is easy to set up and is very stable and quiet.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I ride my trainer late in the evenings when my wife is going to bed. A loud wind trainer is a no go in our house.

·
Registered
122 Posts
tvelez83...if your 1up isn't rolling as smooth as it used to, you might want to give the flywheel a good cleaning (if you haven't already). Mine was being very inconsistent and I pulled the wheel apart, vacumed the friction pad, degreases and re-lubed the bearings and everything else. Now it rolls great...better than ever. I can go for longer sessions and its so much smoother.

If you just don't like the 1up anymore, I get it. But a good cleaning may get you back on the 1up train and save you some dough. JT

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
My only trainer experience is Kurt Kinetic Road machine - as long as I am shifting quietly when doing intervals it doesn't wake my wife in the room next to where I ride it. Very good simulation of road riding, although the power curve calculation is a bit on the high side, I had to change the wheel size on the Garmin to something smaller to get the power cover calculation to match my power tap wheel. Now that it's calibrated pretty well, I just use the speed to determine my training load using their formula with Golden Cheetah and save the power tap for road riding.

·
Token Sprinter
644 Posts
Every review of that thing that I've read has been quite negative. The general consensus is that its neat for the general public, but not suitable for training by a serious cyclist.

I have a Kinetic Road Machine that I'm more than happy with. I love it besides the part where riding a trainer is mind numbingly boring. LeMonds do get rave reviews though so if you're willing to drop the coin I'd definitely look in that direction.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kurt Kinetic Road machine
+1 on the Kurt Kinetic. I currently have two of them: Road Machine and Rock and Roll. The Rock and Roll is my goto trainer (although I have been riding rollers lately since they got here before the trainers) and has a nice road feel to it. The only downside is it is not very portable hench why I keep the Road Machine to use for Warmups for races and TT's

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
There are 3 "best" trainers, the one you have is one of them, the others are the Kurt Kinetic and the Cyclops Fluid 2. If your looking for something better then the 1Up then you're looking at something computerized because you're not going to get a whole lot more from the other 2 best brands.

I have the Fluid 2 but for the last 2 winters I haven't used it all, it bores me to tears. Today was my first time on a bike since last November, it's great to be outside riding.

·
Registered
519 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.