Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting a rack for my Matrix and have decided on a hatch mount rack. I’d like to know what you are using and what your likes and dislikes are about the model you are using.

Thanks.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I got a Saris for my wife's car. I don't remember which model;it's 22* and windy & I'm not going out to the garage to look. IMO/IME there's no real downside. It's easy to put on & off the car, as well as easy to put the bikes on & off. It's also pretty kind to both the bikes & the car. I just don't particularly like to carry bikes outside the car, no matter what the rack. I'd feel most comfortable with them on the roof, but her car is a convertible.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sportworks...

Check out the sportworks stuff. You can get it ar REI. Same racks you see on the front of public busses. Works great and you can load a bike in 3 seconds. Nothing touches the car or the tubes of your bike.

Mike

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
BlueMasi1 said:
Finally getting a rack for my Matrix and have decided on a hatch mount rack. I’d like to know what you are using and what your likes and dislikes are about the model you are using.

Thanks.
If you can find them, the Sportflite is the thing. It's like a roof fork mount for the trunk. I have an older model from a precursor company (Enflite), and have used and loved it on many cars for the past 17 years.

http://www.draftmaster.com/sf.html

If you want a hich mount, the Draftmasters are pretty cool stuff too, though there I probably like the Sportworks stuff better, even though Thule owns it now.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a matrix, so i'll chime in. I bought the cheapest 3 bike rack that Canadian tire had to offer. it was about 50 or 60 bucks. Straps to the back, last summer we put over 3500km on the car with a road bike and a mountain bike strapped to the back it held up fine.

My only complaint is that it caused the bikes to swing a bit which means my forks got a bit scratched up. now that I own a carbon fibre bike, i'm not nearly as anxious to use it..

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a Saris Bones. It's a little more expensive, but it works great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts