Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bike this past summer, my first roadbike. Its a Fuji Finest (last years model, not the new numbered gizmos) and am looking to upgrade parts. I really don't want to buy a new bike, as I'm a college student with no real disposable income and can't afford what I really want, but just came into about 300$ of cash that i want nothing more than to blow on my bike. and don't want to bother with an intermediate stop in between at a mid-range bike. I was wondering what you guys all thought was the single best upgrade to make, whether it be a new wheelset, grouping, CF fork, etc...Thanks. I'm just looking for that little upgrade that'll help me as I get faster, i'm no racer but I've been working my tail off in group rides trying to get better as i go and hope to participate in some races in the late summer. Everything on my bike is stock, and yes, I know its all low end, thats why i could afford it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whoops, yes i got shoes/pedals, thats the one thing i made sure was not stock from the start, i had a friend who told me to make sure no clips. And i would definitely look to port things over in time, when I can afford a bike I really desire.

·
Registered
467 Posts
It will help to know what group is on your bike,what wheels etc.

Honestly,it isn't going to make you "faster".I have a buddy that is a broke college kid who rides an entry level Trek.The wheels and the drivetrain are all low end stuff.He has NO trouble at all keeping up with the fastest ride we have here locally and he races on this bike.

If you want nicer stuff,that is completely understandable.However,you probably won't see noticable performance gains assuming you are comfortable on your bike and it doesn't have any mech. problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok. ? has been answered I think, thanks guys. I'll just sit on my pennies and wait till I can afford what I really want. I've been getting faster as time goes on and have been able to move up in the group rides. I'll keep on keeping on and go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
There isn't too much you can do that is worth doing for $300 then especially as that looks like it is close to half the cost of the bike itself from a quick Google. New tires maybe depending upon what you have and a saddle is something that you could easily transfer to your next bike but a saddle isn't really going to give you better performance plus it would be a bit silly to put an expensive saddle on the bike.

I would either look at other bike related things you could get like accesories or maybe a trainer, heck why not just put it in a savings account to go to your next bike?

·
Apa kabar?
269 Posts
new wheels/tires

i know that i just bought new wheels and tires. it cost me a little over $450 but i know that it was all worth it. it is definitely something that i can transfer over to a new bike in the future, even if they are just wheels for training. i also knew that i only had the wheelset that was on my bike, and in my first crit race i saw that having a spare set was something that would be nice. this way i can use my new wheelset for my racing set, and the old for training and as my backup set during races. also, i know that ultimately a new bike is what i am striving for in the future, but buying new parts also makes me want to ride more and more. long term...save for the nicer bike, but i went for the transferable wheelset.

as a side note- i did notice a significant difference between my old stock wheels off my entry level specialized to my new wheelset. just something to think about.

·
I used to wave
417 Posts
Tires and tubes typically give the best bang for the buck. Most any low endish bike is gonna come with heay wire bead tires. Std tubes are aways heavy. Some 200gm tires found on sale just about anywhere($20-25 typically) can easily save 100+gms per tire(454gms per pound)over wire bead tires. Save another 80-90gms by going to some light tubes like Performance Lunerlites.

Ebay is a good place to find some cheap but decent wheels(for instance the Neuvation areos go for around $150-200ish maybe and can save 1/2lb+ from lower end wheels).

I've also seen some cheap upgrades like store brand drop bars(Pricepoint $19.95 at 240gms) saved a big fat 125gms from cheap no name generic bars(like Giants "Ergo Bar" on the TCR2). Thats over a 1/4lb savings for $20. Same thing with stems(Sette, Pazazz, etc runing $20-30).

Or, you could just save the $$. But what fun is that?

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Save your $300 for when something breaks or wears out and needs replacing. If you are riding a lot you'll be going through tires, tubes and chains pretty fast. Maybe you need extra clothing... having only a few pairs of shorts means that you are either washing a lot or having to ride in not so clean shorts. Or buy tools with it-- with tools you can do your own maintenance and save money (and time) in the long run. I.e. with a chain tool you can replace your own chain instead of having to pay a shop to do it. One or two chains and you have paid for the cost of the tool (maybe with the first, I have no idea what a shop charges to replace a chain since I always have done it myself... its just an example anyhow).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestion guys. Think I should have been a little clearer in the beginning. I do all my own maintenance, unless something goes seriously wrong, which so far it hasnt, picked up a book and tools first week, because I could see how fast shop bills would add up. Also have plenty of clothing, between christmas and my birthday my family gave me enough cycling clothes to have a bonfire. Based on whats been suggested, I think i'll just be setting that $$$ into a savings account and waiting until I have enough for a top end bike.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Acew61 said:
Thanks for all the suggestion guys. Think I should have been a little clearer in the beginning. I do all my own maintenance, unless something goes seriously wrong, which so far it hasnt, picked up a book and tools first week, because I could see how fast shop bills would add up. Also have plenty of clothing, between christmas and my birthday my family gave me enough cycling clothes to have a bonfire. Based on whats been suggested, I think i'll just be setting that $$$ into a savings account and waiting until I have enough for a top end bike.
A mutual fund would probably offer a better return, but I think they have a $500 minimum. Just a thought :thumbsup:

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,170 Posts
Without question - break and shifter housing. It will save you at least 5 seconds on you next century.
Kidding aside, you could get a new set of wheels and then transfer them to the new bike in two years but then you'd be transfering 2 year old wheels to a brand new bike and they would be the liability on the new rig. Save your dough and in two years, buy someone's one year old used rig for under $1000 that they just had to upgrade out of. That's what I would do. Gives you a lot of time to research and make an excellent decision in the future rather than asking a bunch of "experts" like us.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd hang onto the cash also. No wait, I wouldn't. But that is my problem, I've never been able to hang onto cash. But that is what I recommend you do.

Hoops and tools are both good suggestions, but I really can't stress the importance of a really comfy saddle. The comfier the saddle the more time I'm willing to spend on it. For the money I think it's one of the most important and often overlooked parts of a bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.