Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Classical too.

Hang on indeed. The stunt jump at the end is insane.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
PS
I thought all movie trailers used Thomas Newman's score from Shawshank Redemption.

Turns out the Shawshank trailer used Carter Burwell's score from Miller's Crossing.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Eyes Wide Shut, c/o Chris Isaak:

·
Administrator
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All movies seem to use O fortuna now.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
PS
I thought all movie trailers used Thomas Newman's score from Shawshank Redemption.

Turns out the Shawshank trailer used Carter Burwell's score from Miller's Crossing.

One of my most favorite film scores ever. One of my favorite movies ever. A little respect, please.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
I truly think it's one of their best.......if not the best.
Blood Simple is a great film noir, but Miller's Crossing shows a maturity - the characters are deep, the directing is superb, and the overall atomsphere sells the period piece. the dialogue of invented words is not over the top, it really sounds like stuff that could have been common slang in the era.

then there is the plot and the many subplots. a very deep film that works as a simple gangster flick, but if you follow the subplots, they are well thought out and aren't there just as plot devices. they really show the complexity of life and the depth of the characters.

my favorite character in the film is Eddie Dane, by far the darkest character the Coens have developed.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
asciibaron said:
my favorite character in the film is Eddie Dane, by far the darkest character the Cohens have developed.
Have you not seen No Country? (Unless you're not counting Chiguhr because he came from the mind of McCarthy.)

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
I truly think it's one of their best.......if not the best.
It's great, but I wouldn't place it ahead of Fargo and No Country for Old Men.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
It's great, but I wouldn't place it ahead of Fargo and No Country for Old Men.
i would put it well ahead of both those films. Fargo relied too heavily on the mannerisms of the region and the characters are very one dimensional, ya? NCFOM - it's far too fragmented and the story wanders, much like the killer.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Have you not seen No Country? (Unless you're not counting Chiguhr because he came from the mind of McCarthy.)
I've seen No Country. I thought it was very good, but not great. One reason is that it's an adaptation. Another reason is that I really felt that they didn't make it their own, even though IMO it's not their fault. Having read the book, I don't think there was much left to "adapt." I once read a criticism that McCarthy wrote it like a screenplay......

It's probably the first time I've complained about a movie being TOO faithful to the book, LULZ.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
asciibaron said:
i would put it well ahead of both those films. Fargo relied too heavily on the mannerisms of the region and the characters are very one dimensional, ya? NCFOM - it's far too fragmented and the story wanders, much like the killer.
I think I agree with this to an extent. There's always been something about Fargo that I can't put my finger on.........but still, great film. On a different day, this could easily be my favorite Coen Bros movie.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
asciibaron said:
Fargo relied too heavily on the mannerisms of the region and the characters are very one dimensional, ya?
On the contrary, Fargo has the best-developed characters of the Coens' entire repertoire. They don't rely on the local mannerisms; they use them to help create and maintain a sense of place, which is critical to the central juxtaposition of the story.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts