Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at getting an allez but im not sure which one i want.
so i ask which 2006 allez is the best value. i want dont want to spend too much and 1500 would be way to much for the bike. also keep in mind i want a bike that 3 weeks after i have it i say man i wish i had "x" and it then cost more to upgrade than to have bought the next level up bike.
i have no experience on road bikes but i consistently ride 40 road miles on my hardrock mtn bike.
also im 18 years old and 5-10 ish and 155ish lbs.

thanks for your time

· Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
The Elite is a good value at around a thousand or so. If you can afford to go the next level, do it. If you fall in between price points, consider items you may want to swap (ie saddle, wheels, whatever). You'll get better value trading at the time of purchase than a year or two down the road.

· Registered
28 Posts
Allez Comp

I just purchased an '06 Allez Comp. I went with the new Shimano 105 double 10spd groupset. Ordered in the Gerolsteiner team paint scheme. So far have logged close to 1000 KMS (live in Canada). Not sure if the Comp in US dollars fits into your budget. Again very happy, with carbon seat stays and zert inserts there is a noticable difference in ride quality from my previous alll aluminum ride. As for the 105 Groupset the '06 10 spd set up is new for shimano at the 105 level. I am very happy with the performance of shifting and comfort of redesigend 105 brake leveres - they now resemble more of a Dura Ace feel. I have read a few reviews that speak very highly of the new 105 10 spd double and in some instances these reviews have asked the question "why does Shimano bother with the Ultegra line?". Not completely sold on the Mavic Aksium - look solid , look nice but are heavy. For my use this bike fit the bill - recreation rider of approx 100-200 kms per week. This bike is fairly light given the wheels, very fast and agressive. The 105 groupset really is a workhorse. Hope this helps.

· confirmed masher
1,712 Posts
DJF: sweet bike. I love that paint scheme

OP: imo elite and up are the better bikes to get in this group... the other ones you may end up riding it a year or two and then buying a new one... with a few hundred dollars more you could keep the bike much longer with less upgrades. i have an Elite 05... it's a pretty good entry level bike, i dont' need to upgrade the groupsets at all so that's a plus. if you know you're going to stay in the sport, just buy nicer now. If you know you're fickle with gear and stuff and always want the best and lightest, save up your money or buy the best thing out now. the way i see it, its better to be stuck with a sweet bike than to have a bike you dislike because you think it is too low-level. a bike you dislike is a bike you won't ride.

· Registered
2,931 Posts
I second what OneGear says. Unlike him, I bought an '05 Allez Sport as my first road bike. It didn't take me long to wish I had spent a bit more for the Elite. I really hated the Tiagra stuff. It was enough to get me hooked though; I now have an '06 Roubaix Expert and use my Allez for trainer/rain bike.

· Registered
838 Posts
I have 7000 miles on the Allez Sport I bought last summer. I told the guy at the LBS at the time that I wanted something under $1000. But if I knew then that I was going to like biking this much, I'd have gone for the Elite or Comp. However, I still really like the Sport and plan to ride it a few more years before buying something better. By then, I will have fully earned it.

· I am no Guide
571 Posts
John Nelson said:
I have 7000 miles on the Allez Sport I bought last summer. I told the guy at the LBS at the time that I wanted something under $1000. But if I knew then that I was going to like biking this much, I'd have gone for the Elite or Comp. However, I still really like the Sport and plan to ride it a few more years before buying something better. By then, I will have fully earned it.
I don't have the miles on my Allez Sport but this is my attitude too (other then the Sport is not under $1000 in Canada).

A $500 papper weight is easyer to swallow then $1000 papper weight. When just getting into the sport that is how I see it.

If you hate it then you will hate looking at the Sport a bit less then the Elite.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.