Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to cut cable housing? I've used the Park Tool Co. cable/housing cutters and am not happy with how they crimp the housing. I've heard of some people who use Dremel-type tools. What are my other options? Preferably something inexpensive. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I cut the housing with a Shimano cable cutter, use the indentation in the cutter to squeese it back round and dress up the end with a bench grinder. I do it this way rather than use a Dremel bacause I think that it's faster.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Spoke Wrench said:
I cut the housing with a Shimano cable cutter, use the indentation in the cutter to squeese it back round and dress up the end with a bench grinder. I do it this way rather than use a Dremel bacause I think that it's faster.
I've gotten to where I do the same thing.

Cut with the Shimano tool, then grind the end flat.

Then again, when I didn't own a bench grinder, I never noticed any problems braking either. So, my point is you don't NEED to grind the end, but I think it can't hurt.

Mike

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
The "only got my Dad's tools" approach

I use a Dremel with cutoff wheel, then use the flat side of the wheel to dress the ends flat. Takes a little while to get the thing out of the drawer, but once it's set up, the job takes a few seconds.
When I was working in my dad's garage, I used to use a hacksaw with a fine-tooth blade and light pressure, just the weight of the saw. It does a pretty good job, and you can dress any rough edges with a file, sharpening stone or piece of sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Park's cutters are cable cutters

Shimano's cutters are housing cutters. If you are doing this enough, you really should have both. A dremel works if you have one, but so does having the proper cutting tools.

I use Park for cables, Shimano for housing.

Russ

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: cutting housing

Without having a Dremel available, I simply put a length of old cable in the housing. Make sure not to f*#* around when you go to cut it. Squeeze down hard and fast to make your cut is as straight and clean as possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts