Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got new wheels towards the end of last season and in my haste never checked the stem holes for sharp edges. Sure enough, when I got my bike out of the car to ride on Friday *both* tires were flat from leaks at the base of the valve stem where the edge of the hole had worn through the rubber. At least they both failed while the bike was in my car instead of on a fast decent miles from anywhere. I had spare tubes and was able to squeeze a late ride in once I replaced the bad ones. It was also a chance to try out the CO2 unit I bought. I'll be getting a frame pump as soon as I figure out how to mount one on a compact geometry frame that doesn't have a pump peg.
So what's the best/safest/smartest way to deburr the stem holes without causing other problems?

Ric

· Registered
677 Posts
How bout a deburring tool?

ric426 said:
I got new wheels towards the end of last season and in my haste never checked the stem holes for sharp edges. Sure enough, when I got my bike out of the car to ride on Friday *both* tires were flat from leaks at the base of the valve stem where the edge of the hole had worn through the rubber. At least they both failed while the bike was in my car instead of on a fast decent miles from anywhere. I had spare tubes and was able to squeeze a late ride in once I replaced the bad ones. It was also a chance to try out the CO2 unit I bought. I'll be getting a frame pump as soon as I figure out how to mount one on a compact geometry frame that doesn't have a pump peg.
So what's the best/safest/smartest way to deburr the stem holes without causing other problems?

Ric
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=500039

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.