Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am not a retro-guy so pardon the question but: What's the best way to move a couple of nice bikes we no longer use? I have a Mondonico and a custom SLX from the 80s, I guess that we just will never use em again. These were our race bikes back then and have been stored, though I re-built my custom (Jack Koehler) and rode it for a few rides recently. These were from the indexed downtube shifter era, 7speeds, with Suntour Superbe grupos. One, the Mondonico, is about a 56 and one a 59.

Is Ebay the way to go? I'd like to get these bikes to someone who appreciates top end steel, but I also don't want to give away value. Is Ebay where you collectors get your fine older bikes?

Thanks, Don Hanson

·
Bikespace member
4,461 Posts
ebay is a good way to figure how much they might be worth. you can check completed sales on similar bikes to get a rough idea.

you can then sell them on ebay. or post them in the classifieds here and a note on the forum that's where you're selling them. this could be cheaper then selling on ebay.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I thought this was another 'Bike Buyers Anonymous' threads and was
going to suggest strapping one of those doggie Invisible Fence electric
collars to your neck and zapping yourself every time the impulse to
buy another bike. At this point, I'm seriously considering any alternative.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Craigslist is just way easier to deal with than Ebay. Free to post your ad, you'll get responses from local folks, who'll come, look at the bikes, and take 'em away happily. No packing, shipping, PayPal. What's to not like? I just moved 3 vintage bikes that way. Didn't cost a dime. Just post pics in your ads, as pictureless ads won't move 'em.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Doggity said:
Craigslist is just way easier to deal with than Ebay. Free to post your ad, you'll get responses from local folks, who'll come, look at the bikes, and take 'em away happily. No packing, shipping, PayPal. What's to not like? I just moved 3 vintage bikes that way. Didn't cost a dime. Just post pics in your ads, as pictureless ads won't move 'em.
I've sold 2 bikes on CL. Watched what similar ones were going for on ebay, and then listed on CL for an intermediate, fair price. Sold both within a couple of days.

If it's something rare & pricey and you live in a small area, ebay might be the best way to go, though.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
serotta classifieds and RBR classifieds. I've sold on both of them. Just place ad in all 3 and see what happens. Best deal for my Cinelli was on eBay recently. sold more than what i could get on the free classified.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm dusting them off and putting some wheels back on for some pics. Once I go over them, to refresh my memory on the two, I'll post a couple of pics and some breif specs here before I go to Ebay (where I have 100% Pos. Feedback)

Don Hanson

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.