Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing a 70 mile race in three weeks. I am 60 years old. For the last four months have been riding 4-5 days a week. One day a week my long ride was about 50 miles at 65-75% max hr ( yes I now know that LT is a better measure and will start using it). I have also been doing a group ride one day a week 30-40 miles hills and flat. I am pushed more in that ride and my heart rate was often 70-85% max and sometimes more. I normaly feel fairly strong during that ride. I usually take a rest day before that ride. The other two rides are rides of 1-2 hours with hills trying to keep my heart rate at 85-95% max on the hill portions. I am usually in this zone for 30-45 minutes. Fourth or fifth ride of week is long continuous hill. If went all the way it would be 28 miles, I go 5 -7.
Anyway in prep for the race a week ago I went 70 miles on my long day instead of 50 and was able to keep my heart rate mostly in the 65-75% max and felt good about it. Two days later I did another 70 miles, but could not maintain the same level of intensity. My question is how shall I train over the next three weeks to give me a chance to do my best in the race three weeks from now and not be burned out. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am sure you will find more expert advise than mine.However,it sounds like you have decent workouts.If you are doing rides like the ones you described where you are at or above 80% for long periods of time you should be in shape enough to go for it.

I wouldn't worry so much about the distance.A 70 mile ride in a race isn't going to take significantly longer than those 50 milers you do.(assuming you are doing it solo)

Just make sure the week of the race you take it easy and taper it off a bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was just worried that I was not as strong on my second time at 70 with just two days between. But today I did 9 miles up the mountain road and was able to stay in the 85-92% max hr the whole way and felt pretty good so I was able to recover substantially in four days from last 70 miles with three days of light woorkout or full days off in between thanks again. Perhaps not that many in the group can relate to a 60 year old, but I am trying to get younger.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just make sure not to over do it.Sounds like you are spending a lot of time with your HR way up there.Make sure you get enough recovery in.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
I agree you've had good training thus far, except I don't think you need to do a 70-mile ride more than once a week. Keep it up over the next 2 weeks, then race week cut the miles (but not intensity) down to about 1/2 to 2/3. Take full rest 2 days before the race and do an easy 20-30 mile ride the day before the race with a couple of short, hard efforts to spike the HR but not drain the tank.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Just curious

pdeisner said:
Thank you. I appreciate the advice and will take it.
What kind of race is this that an apparently inexperienced 60 year old can enter and is 70 miles long? Is it really a race, or is it an "organized ride" where you can ride at your own pace and there are feed stops every 20-30 miles?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it is more of an organized ride with feed stops. There are different medals depending on how fast you finish. Perhaps I am not knowledgeable enough about what a real race is. Also, I am probably thinking of it as a race because I hope to beat my 22 year old son who is in great physical shape, but who has not been training on his bike. Perhaps we should talk about strategy to beat him. I guess I still remember when we rode in a longer organized ride Tour de Tuson when he was a Sophomore in High School, 109 miles and I kept waiting for him and being supportive, but he spriinted the last three miles just to beat dad. In any event I am looking forward to riding with him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts