Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided I have too many bikes and I'm thinking of selling mt Litespeed Tuscany.

It's fitted with Dura Ace rear mech, Dura Ace 10sp levers, Dura Ace brakes Ultegra Compact chainset. Deda Newton bars stem and seatpost. Mavic CXP33 rims on Ultegra hubs. Michelin Pro race 3 tyres. The bike is low milage and everything is in first class condition.

The reason I tend to hang on to my bikes is because they don't bring much s/h. Even so I can't justify having two Litespeeds.
As i have very little experience of selling bike whats the forum view.

Sell it as a complete bike, or split it up??

·
Bluebiker
88 Posts
Usually best to part it out. I've sold for years. A lower end bike with lower end parts its probably not worth the effort of parting out, but anything higher end you'll be surpirsed what all the individual parts will bring. Should be able to get a good price on the Tuscany frame by itself also. Try craigslist first since its free (maybe try the whole bike just to see). Its been hit or miss with me on rbr selling stuff. Lately I've been using the Serotta forum which appreciates high end bikes. Lastly I use ebay, it reaches the widest audience by fees are really high. Good luck.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
No idea which would work best, but no matter what you do, here's what you need for top dollar:

- Thorough cleaning
- Measurements of everything people would ask
- Lots of good pictures

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was wondering similarly. I have sold stuff on ebay before but never bike stuff. I have an older Surly Crosscheck frameset, but it's got some noticeable headtube paint chips and some smaller decal deformation. The stereotypical Crosscheck owner should both know how to deal with this and why it's not so difficult (paint chips) or important (decals,) but you get all kinds on ebay. Do you think it's worth the time/effort to locate a "bean green" touch-up paint or just sell the thing? I also have a Neuvation rear wheel and Look CX-6 pedals, all used. Any ideas what this will all fetch? Obviously not enough to finance my new ride, but any percentage will help.

·
Registered
586 Posts
On ebay take good pictures of chips and diclose and people won't care so much. If you look like your hiding it people will not bid much. Ebay is all about the pictures.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Ebay buyers aren't quite so nice lately. Here's a thread from Bikeforums

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?673689-Ebay-buyers-not-what-they-used-to-be-frustration!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had a great experience recently selling a bike through craigslist. I liked that all of the potential buyers were local.
Good luck

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've bought and sold bikes off Craigslist many times. When I price an item I have to be realistic and ask myself "at what pricepoint would I buy the item I'm selling?" A little over a year ago I sold a Litespeed Catalyst frame w/ Chris King hdst. and new carbon fork for $350.The frame (decals) was free from any scratches. I sold it in one day. I'd gotten my moneys worth out of the frame (14 years) so it was time to move on. When shopping on Craigslist a good rule of thumb pricing wise is to expect 25 to 50 cents on the dollar for what the item retailed for originally. But to get half your money back the item would have to be mint, show almost no use and not be more than 2 years old. My best score ever on Craigslist was a 2003 Specialized S-Works. Absolutely mint, retailed originally for $4200 I picked it up for $550. I'd say your Tuscany would be a tough sell at $1,500. But then again you never know you may find someone willing to over pay.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
parting it out will bring the most money and be the most hassle. try to sell the components as a group. there is no easy way.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks chaps. It's on e-bay at the moment as a full bike for £1595 BIN.
I know it's not cheap but I paid more than that for the frame and fork.
It's immaculate, see how it goes. If not, I'll probably split it up.

If is goes it would cost nearly £60 in charges.

I have had an offer of £800. Not sue if he just wants a sit on it or he was serious?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts