Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now i currently Mountain Bike and i am looking in to get in to road biking because i will be able to do it more with my schedule. heres my question, right now i lift weights about 3-4 days a week and try to mountain bike 2-4 days a week. i know it doesnt sound like much but its all i have time for. right now i am 5'6 and about 160lbs, i was 150 but i started working out a little harder and gained about 10 lbs. Im only 22 and i eat all right but i wanna drop about 10 lbs of fat. wanna get that six pack back that i had in highschool. right now i will be riding my intense spider on the road, i know its not a road bike (but its only 20 lbs, and really smooth) but i am saving for one. How far should i ride? And what kind of ridding should i do, and at what pace? To loose the MAX ammount of FAT. I have no trouble ridding tough 13-18 mile rides mountain biking, so im not terribly out of shape, but im in no means race shape. any suggestions would help. By the way i live in north orange county Ca, and go to Cal State Fullerton, i should be able to ride for a 1-3 hours every tuesday, thursday and friday. and hopfully maybe squeeze in an hour on mondays and wed. well thanks
let me know
Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
twice a day rides keep the metabolism way up, as does riding right before retiring for the eve...


BikerBamBam said:
lol well i figured that, but i need to make the most efficiant use of my time.
 

·
Moderatus Puisne
Joined
·
15,886 Posts
Yeah, I'm just trying to say it matters less about the details of what you do and more that you're riding. 2 hours of moderate / hard riding burns 1000-1200 kcal; thrice a week is a pound a week without even reducing your diet. Shouldn't be hard so long as you don't ratchet up the food, too.

Congrats on embarking on being an un-average american.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,452 Posts
BikerBamBam said:
Right now i currently Mountain Bike and i am looking in to get in to road biking because i will be able to do it more with my schedule. heres my question, right now i lift weights about 3-4 days a week and try to mountain bike 2-4 days a week. i know it doesnt sound like much but its all i have time for. right now i am 5'6 and about 160lbs, i was 150 but i started working out a little harder and gained about 10 lbs. Im only 22 and i eat all right but i wanna drop about 10 lbs of fat. wanna get that six pack back that i had in highschool. right now i will be riding my intense spider on the road, i know its not a road bike (but its only 20 lbs, and really smooth) but i am saving for one. How far should i ride? And what kind of ridding should i do, and at what pace? To loose the MAX ammount of FAT. I have no trouble ridding tough 13-18 mile rides mountain biking, so im not terribly out of shape, but im in no means race shape. any suggestions would help. By the way i live in north orange county Ca, and go to Cal State Fullerton, i should be able to ride for a 1-3 hours every tuesday, thursday and friday. and hopfully maybe squeeze in an hour on mondays and wed. well thanks
let me know
Nick
Ride more and eat less. The more you ride, the more you'll want to eat. Don't eat more. Painful but plainful truth. Don't eat carbs before bed. When hungry, fill up with water, not sports drinks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my current diet

Ok as i said earlier i put on about 10 lbs since i started hitting the weights hard. right now i am consuming about 3-4 liters of H2O on days i dont ride, and about double on days i do. As far as eating, i have gained all my weight "naturally" just lots of chicken ( im allergic to almost all other types of protien :mad: ) and i have TRIED to stay away from late night carbs ( i work as a waiter at Jo Jo's pizza so it sucks) i dont take any suppliments or drink any of those drinks they sell at the LBS.

but 2-a-day rides wil boost metabolism huh? well gonna have to try that.

Anything else??
 

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
Ride more and eat less. The more you ride, the more you'll want to eat. Don't eat more. Painful but plainful truth. Don't eat carbs before bed. When hungry, fill up with water, not sports drinks.
That will work. You'll be up all night peeing and then your to tired to eat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I have been having very good luck only changing a few things.

breakfast, i never used too but now if i dont have something (even just a couple pieces of fruit) I will be starving in the late afternoon.
move your big meal from dinner to lunch.
reduce all portions by 25%ish.
stay the hell away from soda, this one has been key for me. Tons of empty calories that dont fill you up at all.
Days when I would have had a steak, i am now having salmon or tuna steaks. Just as good or better tasting and way better for you. Cost is just about the same if you have a good fish monger.

Add too all that an hour a day of spirited riding on weekdays and no less then 2 hours in the morning saturday and sunday and the weight is flying off. I am at about 2lbs a week. I know that is really too fast but I am not hungry or tired so I am just going with it. 17lbs in 2 months and I really dont have to think about it any more, I just sort of pick the right things at this point. It has helped me to look at that cake on easter and see an extra 50 miles worth of riding instead of 15 bites of nummy cake.

Just remember, carbon fiber is expensive. Not having 2nds is not :)

matt
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,427 Posts
4 hour training rides in high zone 4, every day, should do it.......or kill you.
(Hey, you asked for the "best" way, didn't you?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
pitr said:
I have been having very good luck only changing a few things.

breakfast, i never used too but now if i dont have something (even just a couple pieces of fruit) I will be starving in the late afternoon.
move your big meal from dinner to lunch.
reduce all portions by 25%ish.
stay the hell away from soda, this one has been key for me. Tons of empty calories that dont fill you up at all.
Days when I would have had a steak, i am now having salmon or tuna steaks. Just as good or better tasting and way better for you. Cost is just about the same if you have a good fish monger.

Add too all that an hour a day of spirited riding on weekdays and no less then 2 hours in the morning saturday and sunday and the weight is flying off. I am at about 2lbs a week. I know that is really too fast but I am not hungry or tired so I am just going with it. 17lbs in 2 months and I really dont have to think about it any more, I just sort of pick the right things at this point. It has helped me to look at that cake on easter and see an extra 50 miles worth of riding instead of 15 bites of nummy cake.

Just remember, carbon fiber is expensive. Not having 2nds is not :)

matt
Wow-impressive! 2lbs a week! I have been struggling to lose weight: I have ridden 49 hours in the past 4 weeks, been watching how much I eat (little more than I ate this winter), I eat very little sweets (maybe 1 ice-cream bar and 1 beer per week) and have dropped all the way from 152lbs to 149lbs in that 4-week period! I would love to hit 145lbs, which is thin for my relatively stocky (for a cyclist) 5 foot 9 frame.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,071 Posts
BikerBamBam said:
Ok as i said earlier i put on about 10 lbs since i started hitting the weights hard. right now i am consuming about 3-4 liters of H2O on days i dont ride, and about double on days i do. As far as eating, i have gained all my weight "naturally" just lots of chicken ( im allergic to almost all other types of protien :mad: ) and i have TRIED to stay away from late night carbs ( i work as a waiter at Jo Jo's pizza so it sucks) i dont take any suppliments or drink any of those drinks they sell at the LBS.

but 2-a-day rides wil boost metabolism huh? well gonna have to try that.

Anything else??
to quote Yoda, "there is no try. there is only do or not do."

For losing weight, keep that in mind- you can't "try" to avoid carbs at night.
 

·
It's not TOO Cold!
Joined
·
2,498 Posts
If you want to get cut you need to eat sweet potatoes instead of potatoes, brocli (sp), and other complex carbs for fuel. You can usually find diets for this in body building or other muscle mags. Stay away form the supplements, you get that thin and the side effects really start to kick in. The last couple % body fat, covering the 6-pack, is the toughest to lose. you will probably find that if you do this, you will not be able to lift as much weight, or maintain your current weight lifting routine.

It is all give and take.
 

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
Ride more and eat less. The more you ride, the more you'll want to eat. Don't eat more. Painful but plainful truth. Don't eat carbs before bed. When hungry, fill up with water, not sports drinks.
Not eating carbs right before bed is a myth.

It's called portion control. If you consume 2000 calories a day when you should be consuming 2500, you will lose weight. Eating before bed means nothing to your weight. You may burn 1000 calories on a ride and only consume 1000 up to that poaint, and eat 1000 before bed, you are still at a deficit of 500 calories.

That no eating carb bullshit before bed doesn't mean anything. Your metabolism never stops, even when you sleep. If you try the argument that you don't burn as many calories throughout the night as you do during the day, you're not completely right. You burn more calories while sleeping than you do while surfing the internet or watching TV. On top of that, if you work out at 5pm or 7pm, or even later every night, you NEED the nourishment afterwards, no matter what time it is before bed. Portion control: don't splurge after a ride; keep yourself at a caloric deficit and you will lose weight, simple as that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Just be glad your not in my shoes....I have my 1st place in the SECC to uphold in collegiate B at Auburn this weekend and I just spent five days binging on food and alcohol...I think I gained 7lbs! ...what was I supposed to do?? My mom got married and then I turned21!!! oh well....it was fun...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
2x/day is the best way to jack your metabolism up. In the AM even if you don't have a lot of time - a brisk 20 min run or 20 min hard on a trainer (rollers) will wake you up and get your metabolism in high gear. Then in the afternoon if you can either ride (as long as possible) or hit the gym w/ 1 hr of cardio before lifting = keeps your metabolism up all day long + reduce caloires in = fat loss (may want to make sure you're gettin enough protein whenst eating less)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,524 Posts
Another vote for "ride lots"

The faster you go the more calories you burn. The trick, though, is that the amount of fat burned doesn't vary that much much from what is burned at an easy pace and what is burned at full tilt. OK, the amount of fat burned per unit time might vvary by a factor of two while the amount of carbs burned can vary by a factor of 10. The hitch is that no-one can last very long at that full-tilt pace.

So the trick to burning lots of fat is to spend lots of time active. The more active you are during that time the better, but time is the main consideration. Hence the "ride lots" advice. A quick 20 minute burst is far less effective at burning fat than a sustained 1-2 hours of time at whatever pace keeps you going for that time. Of course, if you only have 20 minutes, use it whenever you can.

As for total calories, you need to eat fewer calories in a day than you burn. Eat well, avoiding calorie-rich junk, and that ought to settle itself reasonably well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,637 Posts
Clarification

iliveonnitro said:
Not eating carbs right before bed is a myth.
Anyone who claims this is different than portion control is blowing smoke, and that is NOT the reason it is suggested. The reason to do this is because it is a lot easier to be hungry while you sleep than while you are awake. While you sleep on an empty stomach, you are emphasizing fat as a calorie source. Obviously, if you eat too much the next day then you cancel any effect, but this is an effective strategy for appetite control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
Losing weight and appetite control

Kerry Irons said:
Anyone who claims this is different than portion control is blowing smoke, and that is NOT the reason it is suggested. The reason to do this is because it is a lot easier to be hungry while you sleep than while you are awake. While you sleep on an empty stomach, you are emphasizing fat as a calorie source. Obviously, if you eat too much the next day then you cancel any effect, but this is an effective strategy for appetite control.
I agree. The main reason diets fail is not because of a failure of the basic mechanism of eating fewer calories than you burn, but of the self-discipline required to maintain the calorie deficit (a large part of which is appetite control). If selecting the the types of foods and the times of the day they eaten can help stave off urges to eat too much, then the diet is more likely to succeed. (The caveat of course is that you should still maintain a balanced and healthy diet, even if you shift the times, food types and portions eaten.)
 

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
Joined
·
2,299 Posts
timing of meals...not just cal in cal out

timing of meals is important, not just calories consumed and expended.

you need to eat at least 3 times per day, and 5 would be better.

people have trouble losing weight when they restrict calories by cutting out meals. Some people get down to one meal a day, and don't lose weight -- what happens is that when your body is not getting fuel regularly, i.e., not having at least 3 meals per day, it reacts as if you are in a famine, and it will not shed weight until the body perceives that the famine is over.

When you eat consistently 5 meals a day, your body can tell, and will shed weight since it presumes that it is not stuck in a famine.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top