Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Shifters and Derailleurs will give you somewhat crisper shifting......crank, cassette, and brakes will mostly save weight.

You most likely wont even notice a performance increase changing from rival to red......the sram groups perform mostly the same. The only major difference between Rival/Force/Red is the weight savings, and unless you are a Cat 1 racer the few pounds difference wont really matter.

If you are itching to spend money on upgrades get a wheelset, as most manufactures spec. cheap wheelsets to meet a certain price point for their bikes.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Shifters and Derailleurs will give you somewhat crisper shifting......crank, cassette, and brakes will mostly save weight.

You most likely wont even notice a performance increase changing from rival to red. The only major difference between Rival/Force/Red is the weight savings, and unless you are a Cat 1 racer the few pounds difference wont really matter.

If you are itching to spend money on upgrades get a wheelset, as most manufactures spec. cheap wheelsets to meet a certain price point for their bikes.
+1

Agreed

·
9,790 Posts
what would be the most efficient parts to upgrade in a groupset? I'm thinking about using a sram red rear derailleur on my rival groupo
So first we have a group group (group and set mean essentially the same thing, so group-group. I guess you might always talk that way though, considering "kenken"...), then we have a nonsense word - groupo. There is no such word as groupo. ESPECIALLY not when in reference to SRAM or Shimano (note the capitalization...proper names of people and things are capitalized). There is only gruppo, and it should only be used by English-speaking people when referring to Campagnolo groups.

Also:
The first letter of the first word of a sentence is always capitalized.

As for your question....

"Upgrading" the rear derailleur to Red from Rival would be pretty damn stupid, unless you plan to upgrade all of it eventually. That would be like putting a shiny new antenna on a rusted out Chevette with 3 wheels. Well, not really, but just as useless. There are no parts of a Rival group that need upgraded unless you're replacing the entire group. Then, yes...go Red so that you're actually upgrading something.

I'd concentrate on wheels and ability as things to upgrade.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Wheels & tires, wheels & tires, and after that....wheels & tires.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
So first we have a group group (group and set mean essentially the same thing, so group-group. I guess you might always talk that way though, considering "kenken"...), then we have a nonsense word - groupo. There is no such word as groupo. ESPECIALLY not when in reference to SRAM or Shimano (note the capitalization...proper names of people and things are capitalized). There is only gruppo, and it should only be used by English-speaking people when referring to Campagnolo groups.

Also:
The first letter of the first word of a sentence is always capitalized.

As for your question....

"Upgrading" the rear derailleur to Red from Rival would be pretty damn stupid, unless you plan to upgrade all of it eventually. That would be like putting a shiny new antenna on a rusted out Chevette with 3 wheels. Well, not really, but just as useless. There are no parts of a Rival group that need upgraded unless you're replacing the entire group. Then, yes...go Red so that you're actually upgrading something.

I'd concentrate on wheels and ability as things to upgrade.
I'll be damned! You HAVE been listening to my lessons, haven't you? Now I gotta check on Danl1 to see what he's up to.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with all of the below but...

Red shifters have a new form factor you may prefer, and they're zero loss on both sides. I believe the new Force is as well. So... there's a bit of a function upgrade there.

The new red FD is pretty damn excellent too - I love mine. You don't NEED the new Red crank to benefit but the new chain-rings are a big improvement over the previous generation. (NB you can buy "non-hidden bolt" versions of the new chainrings and they'll fit any of the older SRAM cranks.)

Brakes? Meh. RD? Meh.

Anyway, to answer your entire question, the best way to upgrade a group is to buy a group set all together. Buying one component at a time is a great way to spend extra money, unless you need to replace a component.

You most likely wont even notice a performance increase changing from rival to red......the sram groups perform mostly the same. The only major difference between Rival/Force/Red is the weight savings, and unless you are a Cat 1 racer the few pounds difference wont really matter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.