Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may have seen, I just bought a 3 month old Langster Chicago.

The previous owner didn't seem to mind leaving it in the rain, and as such a few little bolts and nuts have a little bit of rust on them!!!

Rust is my worst enemy, and like to keep my bikes in perfect new shiny condition.

So what is the best way to clean it off???

Anti rust cream painted on and polished off?

Leave the said bolts in a glass of Coke-Cola overnight? (that's my Nan's method, or was that just trying to scare me into not drinking it???:idea: )

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would use wd40 and some very fine wet sandpaper or one of those kitchen green scrubs(wet) on nuts and bolts or replace them with titanium hardware.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have to get it registered sometime soon, I guess I have time on sunday to go to the bike shop.
I'm not in the States, so not sure if we have goo-gone, maybe they have something that can do the same thing though.

·
Done
4,591 Posts
Simi-Chrome or other similar chrome polish

Just use a product like Simi-Chrome or other similar chrome polish. If you are persnickity about getting rust in the allen head sockets, put a bit of polish on the end of a Q-tip and swirl it around.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I use naval jelly. It's commonly available. Dip a Qtip in the can and apply it to the inside & outside of the nut. I like to do one side of the bike at a time. Let it sit for 10-15 min., then wipe it off with a Qtip and/or rag. I make sure it's dry after wiping, then I apply 2 coats of clear fingernail polish of each nut. Works great, & you won't have to worry about it for at least a year.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Rust is a sign of a bike put to good use. Salted spokes and nipples are a sign of perseverance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
every time you wash your bike just use a little WD40 on those surfaces, just be careful of lubed parts i.e. BB and headseat as the WD will dry out the grease also. It's just a more convenient and less messy version of the drop of oil technique offered by Dave Hickey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.