Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to "stimulate" the economy and upgrade my Shimano 550's. I've been riding for a few years now and want to get into racing, but I don't have a lot to throw at parts.

So far I've looked into the 2007 Ksyrium SL, which can be found for around $600 online, and the upstart Rol D'Huez which people seem to be raving about. The Rol Wheels look to be lighter, but the Ksyriums must be popular for a reason.

I'm 5'11", 150lbs and fancy myself a climber. Which way should I go, or are there any other options I should look into?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just got some Rol Race SL's and they are really nice. They have a 30mm rim; the alpe d'huez has about a 27mm. They're about $600.00, a little cheaper than the alpe.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
The best would be a set built up by Ligero, Ergott, rruff, or your custom wheel builder of choice. You'll get a lot more for your money that way, as opposed to buying a pre-built wheel.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
For some reason lots of my friends think the XERO wheels from Pricepoint ($259 including shipping) are the best bang for the buck. They are lightweight and have held up well for several of them.

That's way less than $800.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked into the Williams 19, but I'm skeptical about a 19mm rim--though they're interesting nonetheless. I'm not opposed to paying up to $800, so something as low as $300 might not be as performance oriented as I'd like...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Chris King Website said:
complete wheelsets will be available from Chris King soon. Every wheelset will be precision built in Portland, Oregon and shipped ready to roll out of the box. Premium brand rims and spokes matched with King’s renowned sealed bearing pink hubs will be available for a variety of riding styles. All wheelsets feature 32-hole, 3-cross lacing with brass nipples. $700
I can give you a review in a week, so far I'm loving them. They are DT spokes and RR1.1 rims.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
nosparrows said:
The Rol Wheels look to be lighter, but the Ksyriums must be popular for a reason.
Clever and expensive marketing can make a product popular, provided that it isn't absolute junk.

You could get custom wheels very similar to the Rol models (same rims and spokes) only with White Industries hubs for a little more.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
For that price range, just about any nice combo of hubs and rims.

The mentioned builders by Forrest will help you get a a nice set BUILT FOR YOU!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Ksyriums are popular because they have been around for a while and Mavic just gives them away to teams. At the end of the season you can find eBay full of those wheels.
HED Bastognes are great wheels- a simple design like the Ksyriums, but with spokes that can be replaced more commonly. The FBH seems to last a little longer on the HED wheels than the Mavics, too.
American Classic 350s are lighter than the Bastognes and less expensive, too. Everyone is always surprised at the quick response of the wheelset in climbing and out of corners.
Hope thats helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.