Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try different wheel sets out in this area? It's fairly windy most days, so is there something that helps in the wind and is decent on the bumpy pavement out there?

I'm on Open Pros with Record hubs, DT round spokes, Pro 3 tires. I've never really ridden anything else except a really cheap wheel set on an old bike. ~ 175 lbs and out there every weekend.

Thanks
Riding Fondriest Aluminum...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Wheels have a big role in the comfort of the ride. If you are on 3 cross 32 hole Open Pro's as I imagine, you are likely on one of the smoothest rides available. The 32 hole and 3 cross configuration gives more bump absorption. Carbon fiber rims would increase the bump absorption even further. For aero, go for deep 50mm or larger section rims, preferably carbon fiber. For stiff, possibly faster wheels go for radial laced wheels.

..... and remember, spoke tension is very important to the wheels function, regular maintenance by skilled people is required,

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I have ridden a bunch of different wheels and other than one that was very undertensioned I haven't been able to tell any difference in ride quality. Wheels just don't flex vertically that much. If they do they are going to come apart pretty quick.

Tires OTOH can make a difference on rough pavement.

For the OP, if you want to go faster then aero wheels would help a little. There isn't enough climbing on the Uvas loop to make light weight a priority.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kneejerk said:
Wheels have a big role in the comfort of the ride. If you are on 3 cross 32 hole Open Pro's as I imagine, you are likely on one of the smoothest rides available. The 32 hole and 3 cross configuration gives more bump absorption. Carbon fiber rims would increase the bump absorption even further. For aero, go for deep 50mm or larger section rims, preferably carbon fiber. For stiff, possibly faster wheels go for radial laced wheels.

..... and remember, spoke tension is very important to the wheels function, regular maintenance by skilled people is required,
Kneejerk,

I was out on the bike and it hit me that I forgot to mention 32 hole front/rear. I'd like to try some aero wheels now after a couple of recommendations.

I just had my front hub lubed and the bearings replaced and they mentioned that the spoke tension was up as high as they could get it (Slough's). I wanted them to eliminate some spoke pinging. All they could really due was lube the spots where the spokes cross, so that's what got me thinking if different rims.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.