Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally going to spend some bucks on a nice wheelset.

The bike, BMC roadracer with Ultegra.
Currently i am running Fulcrum 5's with no issues. Just looking for something nice I wont have any problems with.
I weigh in at 190-175 depending on the time of year.
I dont race but like a smooth ride. Running Vittoria Open Corsas in 25's with no complaints. The roads here are prety good with some chipseal.
Lightness? Maybe.
Carbon rim? Probably not in my pricepoint.
Tubular? No thanks.

I will be running 28 spokes minimum, maybe King hubs or White industries?

I am looking for a recomended builder and some component sugestions.

Thanks,

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just checked and our distributor finally got some H Son Plus Archetypes in stock in 28H. These are the ones I'm eager to have our builder, Don "The Mockster" Mock build with. There are a small handful of wider profile rims out there, including the new Pacenti, which, for me, as a retailer, is too expensive. Don recently built some Hed C2s around some Chris Kings for a big guy and they're doing great so far. In you're case, I'd recommend that wider rim, which is going to give a little more comfort and better handling, and is a great match with those wider Vittorias you're running.

As an alternative to Kings, I'd consider building around some Alchemy hubs. In terms of reputation amongst wheelbuilders, these are every bit the equal of Kings: about the same price, the front is a little lighter and has a wide flange. Don's a little biased towards Kings, though, since he worked for the guy. He's been doing this for many many years, and is very fastidious and particular building quality wheels.

So, just running some rough numbers with either Kings or Alchemy hubs and the Archetype rims, we'd be looking at a build in the neighborhood of $927.5 - that's with some nice lightweight skewers with blingy little carbon handles that we offer. You want basic skewers, price is less. You want Hed rims, it'll be about a hundred more. I think most builder out there will be in the same range.

If you want ultimate bang for the buck, I think we're going to try building with BHS hubs. The more I read, the more confidence I get that these hubs, though not quite up the standards of King and Alchemy, offer good quality, durability and serviceability and incredible value. ...$640 for a Mock build.

I don't know how close you are to Orange County, but we're a brick and mortar and prefer that face to face interaction. Don guarantees his wheels for life.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
I just checked and our distributor finally got some H Son Plus Archetypes in stock in 28H....$640 for a Mock build....I don't know how close you are to Orange County, but we're a brick and mortar and prefer that face to face interaction. Don guarantees his wheels for life.
Your sales pitch doesn't qualify as advice, even if it was well-intentioned...

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
h Plus Son archetype or Hed Belgium rims, CXrays and Kings would be really nice. I'm a skeptic and tend the think everything is marketing BS but I got to admit there's something to these 23mm wide rims.
Alchemy hubs do build a great wheel but I had a lot of problems with the rear and worst then the actual problems was getting the fixed really sucked. special tool blah blah.
Shimano hubs aren't "cool" but don't rule out Dura Ace.

I've had really good good luck with LongLeaf cycles in Troy NH. Don't let his website fool you. Yeah he does a ton of work for transportation and touring guys but he knows how to build race wheels too. He'll just error on the side of strength but not to such an extreme that he wont build you a light wheel if that what you want. He'll order anything not listed on his website.

338 Posts
I am also interested in carbon.

Any thoughts on Hed jet 5 or Reynolds Assault? Both come in under a grand
HED Cycling - Jet 5 Express

msrp $1550?

not sure about Reynolds pricing but their aerodynamics tend to suck, especially when compared to hed.

carbon clinchers just don't make that much sense other than they look cool.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HED Cycling - Jet*5 Express

msrp $1550?

not sure about Reynolds pricing but their aerodynamics tend to suck, especially when compared to hed.

carbon clinchers just don't make that much sense other than they look cool.
Yah. I agree. I will probably end up with some alloy clinchers on King hubs.

Just shopping around. CC has the Heds at 960. The Reynolds at 899.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Alchemy hubs do build a great wheel but I had a lot of problems with the rear and worst then the actual problems was getting the fixed really sucked. special tool blah blah.
I own a set of wheels built with Alchemy hubs, and I'm considering having another rear wheel built with the new Alchemy rear hub when it's available.

It would be extremely helpful and valuable to me if you were specific about your experience with the problematic rear Alchemy hub.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I own a set of wheels built with Alchemy hubs, and I'm considering having another rear wheel built with the new Alchemy rear hub when it's available.

It would be extremely helpful and valuable to me if you were specific about your experience with the problematic rear Alchemy hub.
-Clicking noises. (three times if I recall correctly, not exactly sure what was done by the mechanic to fix this)
-the Axle was prone to shifting so the cassette lock ring would rub on my frame. In other words the end that should be in contact with the drop outs, on the drive side, was flush with the cassette lock ring.
-Blew out the bearings under the freehub. (this is where the special tool bit kind of sucked). This happened once and I suspect, but don't know for sure, they were getting shot when I decided to trash the thing (the axle shifing again is what put me over the edge to get rid of it).

I change wheels now and the so I can't say for sure but I'd estimate this was all over the course of about 12K miles.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
-Clicking noises. (three times if I recall correctly, not exactly sure what was done by the mechanic to fix this)
-the Axle was prone to shifting so the cassette lock ring would rub on my frame. In other words the end that should be in contact with the drop outs, on the drive side, was flush with the cassette lock ring.
-Blew out the bearings under the freehub. (this is where the special tool bit kind of sucked). This happened once and I suspect, but don't know for sure, they were getting shot when I decided to trash the thing (the axle shifing again is what put me over the edge to get rid of it).
Thanks.

You indicated that the repair was not easy. What was the issue with the actual repair other than the necessity for the special tool?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Thanks.

You indicated that the repair was not easy. What was the issue with the actual repair other than the necessity for the special tool?
I have no idea how hard or easy the actual work of replacing the bearings was. I didn't do it. The hassle for me was that it needed a special tool....and not one that a typical bike shop is going to have so I had to look for someone who had it and then travel to get it done.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
The hassle for me was that it needed a special tool....and not one that a typical bike shop is going to have so I had to look for someone who had it and then travel to get it done.
Thanks.

I find that my Alchemy hubs...especially the rear hub...require occasional adjustment to eliminate play and ensure smooth/free running. Fortunately, adjusting the hubs is easy to do with two hex wrenches.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your sales pitch doesn't qualify as advice, even if it was well-intentioned...
True, it came across that way, ..regrettably..which is why I added, "most builders will be in the same range." There are many good hand wheel builders out there, including many on this forum. My advice is good quality and value wider rims mated to high quality hubs from a good builder.

I'm riding Reynolds Attacks on a bike right now. They're nice. ...lightish...not particularly deep, but more aero than box section rims. Braking is what you'd expect from carbon and cork pads, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm replacing them with Stan's 340s around a Powertap and an Alchemy front. For me, choosing the rim, hub and spoke combination and having them built by someone I know and trust is more compelling than buying something built by some anonymous person in an Asian factory somewhere. If you're willing to forego carbon fiber, you can get something with better hubs, usually just as light, often less expensive and built by hand by someone whose name you actually know.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
How about some HED Belgiums laced to some CK of DT Swiss hubs? I just got a set of hand built CK hubs w/ Velocity A23's, and they made the handling on my BMC surprisingly better. The only gripes so far with these: The A23 weld joint isn't the smoothest, and the builder has them just over 1mm out of true. I have a gatorskin 700x25 in the back and have about 3mm clearance on each side of the tire in the back, It's a tight squeeze!
I was trying to spend quite a bit less. Had I been able to spend more, I would have gotten Neuvation to build them - they have great wheelbuilders. My set of R28SL's aren't strong enough for my weight, but they're as true as the day they've been built.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well,

In the end I ordered up a bunch of stuff.

I ended up winning a brand new set of Assults on the bay for 480.00. They showed up yesterday in a never opened box so I am happy there. I also decided to dive into building my own. Bought a set of King hubs and some H Son hoops. Just need some spokes and I will get to building. This will be cool.

Thanks for all the advice and recomendations.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.