Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm most interested in a smooth transition between the bar and the hood, as I'll be doing MOSTLY long distance rides and need the most comfortable setup ;)

I'm interested in the K-Wing bars by FSA per the tons and tons of reviews I've read, but my LBS doesn't carry that particular handlebar. I'm bringing my bike in this weekend to figure out the dimensions I'll need so I don't know those numbers ATM.

All thoughts welcome :-D Also, if you have a wing bar you like with SRAM hoods, a close up image of the transition would be great :)

-Chris

K-Wing

K-Wing compact

·
Looking for my Amish Love
907 Posts
The FSA bars are nice. I don't use the wing bar, just the Omega Comact bar & you can get a nice smooth transition to the hoods. A buddy has the wing bar & its the same transition, just his has the flattened top which he likes & i don't.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
capt_phun said:
The FSA bars are nice. I don't use the wing bar, just the Omega Comact bar & you can get a nice smooth transition to the hoods. A buddy has the wing bar & its the same transition, just his has the flattened top which he likes & i don't.
I went for a quick, cheap solution on my Synapse a few months back because I wanted to go wing - I bought the Easton EC30 wing for thirty bucks. FYI I have Shimano hoods on that bike.

I'm building a CAAD9 with Rival, and I was just hoping to get some specific reviews and possibly images of different wing handlebars with SRAM hood. That could really make or break a long ride ;)

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Easton EC90 Aero bars - "best bar ever" (at least it works for me)

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response.

FYI that is a BEAUTIFUL bike! Someday..... :D

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
RoadBikeVirgin said:
Thanks for the response.
FYI that is a BEAUTIFUL bike! Someday..... :D
you're most welcome (it rides even better than it looks) :ihih:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rhauft said:
you're most welcome (it rides even better than it looks) :ihih:
Are those bars comfortable in all three of the main grip areas?? I imagine most of my time would be spent on the hoods, but the other two areas could become quite important as well on my Reach the Beach (100 miles) and STP (2 days, 200 miles) rides :)

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
RoadBikeVirgin said:
Are those bars comfortable in all three of the main grip areas?? I imagine most of my time would be spent on the hoods, but the other two areas could become quite important as well on my Reach the Beach (100 miles) and STP (2 days, 200 miles) rides :)
I run no spacers. This is my race bike. I spend a great deal of time in the drops and hoods and on top. I'd say an even 3-way split. This is by far the most comfortable bar I've ever used, especially in the drops. HTH YMMV

·
Registered
305 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of my K-wing + Red. I love the transition from the hoods to the bars. If you would like some better pictures just let me know.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mark H said:
Here are a couple of pictures of my K-wing + Red. I love the transition from the hoods to the bars. If you would like some better pictures just let me know.

Your bike looks FANTASTIC and the hoods/bars look ridiculously comfy :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark H said:
Thanks!!! :thumbsup: You will not be disappointed with K-wings and Red.
I actually ordered all Rival components, although I hear that the ergonomic are exactly the same between the Red and Rival shifters, so hopefully I'll be just as happy ;)

-Chris

·
Naso Unicornis
875 Posts
Chris:

Make sure that you try out both FSA K-Wing handlebars if you decide on purchasing either one. The compact and standard versions are very different.

I love the bend and reach of my compact FSA K-Wing. However, I prefer to the tops of my old standard K-Wing. The top of the compact version are not as wide as the standard version. In my opinion that reduced the vibration dampening quality of the bar. Having said that, they're both comfortable enough that I do not tape the top sections and no longer wear gloves.

CHL

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CHL said:
Chris:

Make sure that you try out both FSA K-Wing handlebars if you decide on purchasing either one. The compact and standard versions are very different.

I love the bend and reach of my compact FSA K-Wing. However, I prefer to the tops of my old standard K-Wing. The top of the compact version are not as wide as the standard version. In my opinion that reduced the vibration dampening quality of the bar. Having said that, they're both comfortable enough that I do not tape the top sections and no longer wear gloves.

CHL
I've been seriously considering the '08 K-wing (anatomical, not the compact one) in 44cm, and most likely taping just past the hoods with a thin handlebar tape (considering Fizik Microtex). I found them at an actual store online for $194. Cost for my LBS on the '09s (white) is something like 230 or 240. I think I might just make the leap ;)

-Chris

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
you can get the easton ec70 bar for a lot less - they have the flat, wing section. Personally, I think Easton does carbon components better than FSA (unidirectional CF with their CNT resin makes them stronger).

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stevesbike said:
you can get the easton ec70 bar for a lot less - they have the flat, wing section. Personally, I think Easton does carbon components better than FSA (unidirectional CF with their CNT resin makes them stronger).
The EC70 doesn't look nearly as comfortable to me:

Does anyone have experience with both? I have the EC30 winged bars already, and the transition from the hoods to the bar is not exactly what I'd call comfortable.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
3T makes the Ergonova egg shaped bar. You can get a very nice transition with them. I have the EC70 and prefer the 3T bar more but that has more to do with the shape of the drops.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts