Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The barrel adjusters I currently have don't really work very well. It's very difficult to turn them and I'm wondering if anyone makes some better ones that would work with my bike. Here's a photo of the current ones I have. Another gripe I've got is that my Shimano XTR rear derailleur doesn't have a barrel adjuster so that leaves it out as a way to make adjustments.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
I assume you're unhappy with BOTH types of adjusters shown in the photos (front brake, and on the downtube cable stop)?

I do have another adjuster type on one of my bikes that works well for the downtube stops, but has less overall adjustability than yours. It has a small lever sticking out of the side, easier to turn. But it cannot be turned through several revolutions; because of the physical constraints, it can be turned through maybe just 200 deg of rotation. Pics would take me a day or two.

As FTF said, inline adjusters are effective, cheap (<$10) and fairly easy to install.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
JustTooBig said:
I assume you're unhappy with BOTH types of adjusters shown in the photos (front brake, and on the downtube cable stop)?

I do have another adjuster type on one of my bikes that works well for the downtube stops, but has less overall adjustability than yours. It has a small lever sticking out of the side, easier to turn. But it cannot be turned through several revolutions; because of the physical constraints, it can be turned through maybe just 200 deg of rotation. Pics would take me a day or two.

As FTF said, inline adjusters are effective, cheap (<$10) and fairly easy to install.

for the dt, campy makes nice adjusters but they are $$$

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
BikeRider said:
The barrel adjusters I currently have don't really work very well. It's very difficult to turn them and I'm wondering if anyone makes some better ones that would work with my bike. Here's a photo of the current ones I have. Another gripe I've got is that my Shimano XTR rear derailleur doesn't have a barrel adjuster so that leaves it out as a way to make adjustments.
I don't believe I've seen your H20ford. You got pics posted anywhere?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Have you tried cleaning and lubing the threads? Grease helps. IME, in-line cable adjusters work well, too, if you want more adjustment range. I use the ones on the downtube mainly for on-the-fly tweaks, so they rarely have to be turned far.

·
Registered
143 Posts
For the read der.

For the rear derailleur, could you use a barrel adjuster on the downtube cable stop such as your front derailleur? Even a cheap one will give some relief.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Those are the ones that I have. I find that they're easier to turn if you pedal and up-shift, then downshift without pedaling to let the tension off the cable. Yeah, it's a PITA, but less of one than unbolting the cable every time.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input and you've given me some ideas to look at. I should have mentioned that I was concerned about the barrel adjuster for the rear derailleur as this is an old picture and I've since replaced the cantilever brakes with some v-brakes and no barrel adjusters are used.

Actually I don't normally have to mess with it since it stays put but when I do it's a bit of a pain.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
BikeRider said:
This style of Shimano adjuster works well. The left adjuster is similar to yours but the right has a nice lever that's easy to use. As for a second adjuster for the rear derailleur you could just splice an in-line adjuster in wherever it's convenient.

·
Banned
14,484 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
before adjusting the barrel adjusters set the derailuer to the least amount of cable tension. rear derailluer would be on the smallest cog, front d will be on the largest chainring, squeeze the brake calipers closed with your hand and adjust the barrel with the other, may help. or get the shimano parts similar to Mel's.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Becky said:
Those are the ones that I have. I find that they're easier to turn if you pedal and up-shift, then downshift without pedaling to let the tension off the cable. Yeah, it's a PITA, but less of one than unbolting the cable every time.

nice trick - I do this in the stand to pull cable and lube. but on the fly to take the tension off the cable - like it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts