Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say you had the choice between the Trek 2200 and the Trek 5000. The 2200 has full Ultegra components on an aluminum frame with better seatpost, handlebars, stem, seat, and wheels. The 5000 has a TCT Carbon frame with 105 components and an ultegra rear derailler, and other things a step down from the 2200 (as mentioned). If they are basically the same price, which would be the better choice? Does the carbon frame make that much of a difference that it makes up for the lower components, seat post, handlebars, etc?

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
scfishy said:
Let's say you had the choice between the Trek 2200 and the Trek 5000. The 2200 has full Ultegra components on an aluminum frame with better seatpost, handlebars, stem, seat, and wheels. The 5000 has a TCT Carbon frame with 105 components and an ultegra rear derailler, and other things a step down from the 2200 (as mentioned). If they are basically the same price, which would be the better choice? Does the carbon frame make that much of a difference that it makes up for the lower components, seat post, handlebars, etc?

I really don't know much about the Trek line but the 2200 would be my suggestion based on my general knowledge and the info. you've provided.

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
I am too biaised to answer

I'll never buy a carbon bike. But that's just me, eh?

But other than that I'll always go with the better frame.

Get a titanium frame, a custom steel, something durable. Compromise on some components (especially "non rolling" ones) and you'll get the best deal.

Who cares if you front derailleur is Campagnolo Mirage or Record? I consider myself a very experienced cyclist, ex-serious racer; in the middle of my ride/effort, I cannot tell the difference between a 105 crankset of Dura-Ace...

But hubs, bottom bracket, sprockets, chain... They wear out and exist to make your bike go fast. Not the brake calipers!

So get the best frame, and eventually upgrades the bearings to higher/highest quality.

My honest opinion.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
The fact is that proper fit, the frame geo., choice of wheels, tire selection and tire pressure have a far greater effect on the overall comfort of a bike than any frame material. These frames are basically mid to lower grade in the overall continuum of frames on the market. The 5000 is made of relatively low modulus carbon fiber. I honestly don't know much about Trek's ZR9000 alloy tubing but I'd bet the mid to lower grade alloy frame is a better value than a mid to lower grade carbon frame. At that point I'd go with the better component group if the frame geo. and fit of the alloy frame is at least equally suitable to my needs as compaired to the carbon frame.

That's speaking a former high-end LBS wrench and someone has ridden and raced frames made of steel, titanium, aluminum, scandium, carbon and combinations of for almost 25 years.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
scfishy said:
Wheels/Tires #1

Frame #2

Components #3

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
The most ideal choice is:

Wheels #1

Components #1

Frame #1

All kidding aside, the OPer didn't indicate that he has wheel options beyond what comes with the two packages but if the 2200 with Ultegra has the better wheels then that would only further confer that it's the better of the two choices.

I think some are assuming that the 5000 frames is significantly better than the 2200 frame just because it's carbon fiber when in fact it's probably not much better if at all. Yes a great frame can be made with HM carbon fiber but it's irrational to assume that carbon automatically equals better.

Perhaps if a 5200 frame and a 2200 were in the mix I'd choose the 5200 but even then there could be overriding issues relating to the overall package and prices.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
rocco said:
Wheels #1

Components #1

Frame #1

All kidding aside, the OPer didn't indicate that he has wheel options beyond what comes with the two packages but if the 2200 with Ultegra has the better wheels then that would only further confer that it's the better of the two choices.

I think some are assuming that the 5000 frames is significantly better than the 2200 frame just because it's carbon fiber when in fact it's probably not much better if at all. Yes a great frame can be made with HM carbon fiber but it's irrational to assume that carbon automatically equals better.

Perhaps if a 5200 frame and a 2200 were in the mix I'd choose the 5200 but even then there could be overriding issues relating to the overall package and prices.
You, like many others, are assuming that his question is specific to the frames mentioned. I think it is a more general question and by specifying two frames by name he may not be getting the answers he intended.

Only he knows for sure.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Huh?

Lifelover said:
You, like many others, are assuming that his question is specific to the frames mentioned. I think it is a more general question and by specifying two frames by name he may not be getting the answers he intended.

Only he knows for sure.

WTF is that supposed to mean and how does that help answer the question?

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Lifelover said:

Only he knows for sure.
Actually the OPer layed out a somewhat specific scenario. How exactly do you rank the value of wheels, frame and components relative to one another especially if we didn't know exactly which ones we're compairing? Prioritizing wheels/tires first, then frame then components is so vague an answer that it lacks any meaningful value. We don't know anything about the type of rider they are nor what their budget is. Furthermore, ranking a particular set of wheels relative to a particular frame and groupo can be very subjective. The OPer seems to get this and thus layed out a somewhat specific scenario. If the OPer didn't get the answer he or she was looking for then I'm sure they'll let us know.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Which one do you like better when you ride it? That should determine it, not the components or frame type.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
cdmc said:
Which one do you like better when you ride it? That should determine it, not the components or frame type.
That's how I picked my wife and it worked out pretty good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason I chose those two bikes specifically is this. I bought my Trek 1200 from a sporting goods store in town. I had pretty much no clue about bikes, and they ended up selling me a bike that was too small for me. I went in to talk to them about this, and the bike manager basically told me to go back Monday when the assistant manager was working and talk to him. He said they will let me trade in my bike and get one that fits me because they never should have sold me this size in the first place. It won't be an even up trade, but I'll see how much they want me to pay on the swap. If the price on the swap isn't too bad, I plan on asking if I can upgrade and pay the price difference between the bikes. The Trek 1500 would give me 105 components for about $200 more, but would have the same frame. The Trek 2200 has full Ultegra on a better frame, and the Trek 5000 has 105 with Ultegra rear on a carbon frame, they are about the same price and about at the max of what I have available to spend. You can look up the specifications on these two bikes, or I can post them if you want. From the sounds of things, the 2200 is sounding like the better choice. It has Bontrager Race wheels, saddle, stem, handlebars, and a Race X Lite seatpost. The 5000 has Bontrager Select in all of these. That is why it is a question of just these two bikes.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
scfishy said:
The reason I chose those two bikes specifically is this. I bought my Trek 1200 from a sporting goods store in town. I had pretty much no clue about bikes, and they ended up selling me a bike that was too small for me. I went in to talk to them about this, and the bike manager basically told me to go back Monday when the assistant manager was working and talk to him. He said they will let me trade in my bike and get one that fits me because they never should have sold me this size in the first place. It won't be an even up trade, but I'll see how much they want me to pay on the swap. If the price on the swap isn't too bad, I plan on asking if I can upgrade and pay the price difference between the bikes. The Trek 1500 would give me 105 components for about $200 more, but would have the same frame. The Trek 2200 has full Ultegra on a better frame, and the Trek 5000 has 105 with Ultegra rear on a carbon frame, they are about the same price and about at the max of what I have available to spend. You can look up the specifications on these two bikes, or I can post them if you want. From the sounds of things, the 2200 is sounding like the better choice. It has Bontrager Race wheels, saddle, stem, handlebars, and a Race X Lite seatpost. The 5000 has Bontrager Select in all of these. That is why it is a question of just these two bikes.
I stand corrected

Good Luck. They all will be great bikes

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
scfishy said:

I hope we've have helped you think it trough. Good luck.

·
Banned
41 Posts
My two cents

rocco said:
I hope we've have helped you think it trough. Good luck.
I have been doing research like mad today - since I could not get help I went about it myself - pity folks aren't more helpful round here - anyway I will try to help you decide based on my recently gained knowledge of current bike parts

the level of function of 105 and Ultegra is pretty close

logic dictates that given equal factors - decide on the differing factor

Which bike is lighter?
go for the better frame as long as the total bike package is not heavier or slower in some way

oh yeah - and try to negotiate additional accessory discounts as they did not provide good service by cramming you on a too small bike to make the sale

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
brerabbit2 said:
...- pity folks aren't more helpful round here - ..
Don't let one or two bad apples spoil it for you. There are some great folks here that are more than happy to help

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I went in today and talked to the guys at the sporting goods store. I originally paid $800 for my Trek 1200. I told them I wanted to upgrade to the Trek 2200. They offered me $500 for my bike, meaning I would pay $1100 for the 2200 (normally $1600). I offered $1000 and they accepted. So my new Trek 2200 is on order and I get to strip my bike back to the original parts and go trade it in in a week or two. I'm pretty excited. Snow is melting, so hopefully by the time my new bike comes in I will be able to go for a ride. I'm already itching to get on that thing.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
scfishy said:
Well I went in today and talked to the guys at the sporting goods store. I originally paid $800 for my Trek 1200. I told them I wanted to upgrade to the Trek 2200. They offered me $500 for my bike, meaning I would pay $1100 for the 2200 (normally $1600). I offered $1000 and they accepted. So my new Trek 2200 is on order and I get to strip my bike back to the original parts and go trade it in in a week or two. I'm pretty excited. Snow is melting, so hopefully by the time my new bike comes in I will be able to go for a ride. I'm already itching to get on that thing.
Sucks they screwed the fit up so bad to begin with but it sounds like they are doing a decent job in making it right in the end.

This is why some many times people recommend a LBS over the internet. I can't imagine any e-retailer working with you after 6 months.

Enjoy the new ride. The 2200 is a great bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts