Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am building a set of road bikes for me and my girl. She is getting Specialized Dolce Expert Frame built up with Ultegra 10 and I have a Specialized S-Works E5 built with Ultegra 10 as well. I have three sets of wheels, including a new pair of Open Pro Black / Ultegra wheels and a pair of Bontrager Race Lite (2003) with about 750 miles on them. I train about 100 miles a week and race duathlons and road races. She will ride about 40 miles a week, mostly slow and recreational.

So my question is, should I train on the Open Pro's or the Race Lite's? I like the feel of the Race Lites and, well..., they are "lite", but I want a wheel that will hold up to the level of training I'm doing. She doesn't really care about the weight and will take whatever I don't use. Note that I race on Ritchey WCS Protocols so this will only be a wheel for training.

Better training wheel: Race Lite w/ 750 miles on it and true, or new Open Pro/Ultegra's?

Thanks in advance for any comments. ** Ryan **

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
If built well, the Ultegra/OP's are pretty much a bomb proof nice spinning set of wheels and ideal for training. They are easy to true and getting a new spoke if necessary should be real easy too. You might want to consider getting a setup with Dura Ace hubs for racing too, light enough, stiff for tight cornering, relatively cheap to replace after a bad crash. Downside is that they aren't that much bling.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I would certainly prefer the Open Pros. My wife's bike is equipped with Race Lites, I don't like them mostly because of the big gaps between spokes, and they're not very light. Her Race Lites were poorly built, out of true when brand new, and with very uneven tension.

Al

1 - 3 of 3 Posts