Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like a bad turn for the cricket. Nothing broken but he is out of the race and will be pretty raw going into MSR.

Too bad, I was looking forward to a good tactical race w/ Bettini out front and Boonen in lying in wait -- wonder how the chips will fall now.

A+

Philippe

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
If...

philippec said:
Looks like a bad turn for the cricket. Nothing broken but he is out of the race and will be pretty raw going into MSR.

Too bad, I was looking forward to a good tactical race w/ Bettini out front and Boonen in lying in wait -- wonder how the chips will fall now.

A+

Philippe
If I was Milram, I would put Zabel, yes, Zabel on the attack and get him into a small break, and then make QS chase it down if they want Tommy "machine gun" Boonen on the top podium step. Zabel loves to race his bike, and he's good at it, and he has proven that he can go in a small break group, and really work it. If it comes down to a small breakaway group, and Zabel is in it, he should be able to take the sprint. If they get caught, guess who is lying in wait? Yes, Pettachi. Could be a good way to go. No? Yes?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
well with Bettini out

advantage back to Milram, If Zabel and Petecchi (and team) work out a strategy gonna be tough on Boonen

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely! And if I were Lefevre, I'd make damn sure that Pozzato, Knaven or Baguet were right there w/Zabel... that is if they are slated to do MSR!

Good thinking on Zabel... and maybe he'll pull off the first step of the podium again... (Zabel: note to self, cross line-then raise arms...cross line-then raise arms.....etc...)

A+

Philippe

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
atpjunkie said:
advantage back to Milram, If Zabel and Petecchi (and team) work out a strategy gonna be tough on Boonen

These things rarely play out the way we predict but I still like Boonen in this race. What they do or don't with the course might make a difference.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
atpjunkie said:
Either Petacchi had a really good day or Milram just had their strategy wrong the last two days having Petacchi work for Zabel. Petacchi was 6th in today's stage on what looked to be a pretty hard climb that went all the way to the line. Zabel was further back and behind a split or two and lost 15 seconds and the lead to Freire.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
capt_phun said:
... Luckily his solid gold helmet saved him.

When is he going to take that thing off and put on a regular helmet? It's been almost 2 years.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Either Petacchi had a really good day or Milram just had their strategy wrong the last two days having Petacchi work for Zabel. Petacchi was 6th in today's stage on what looked to be a pretty hard climb that went all the way to the line. Zabel was further back and behind a split or two and lost 15 seconds and the lead to Freire.
Now that you mention Oscarito, he could throw a spanner in the works for both Milram and QS. He can sure handle the Cipressa and the Poggio and doesn't necesarilly need a train to launch him. Rabo could have Erik Dekker in an escape forcing QS and Milram to chase leaving Freire to take position in the wheel of choice and finish it off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts