Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I general if you're between frame sizes, i.e. I fit right between the Giant OCR L and XL frames, is it better to get the bigger frame and install a shorter stem to reign in the reach, or go with the smaller frame/longer stem combo?

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
If you need to use shorter than a 9cm stem on the XL (preferably not shorter than a 10) then size up. If you have to use longer than a 12 stem on the L, then size down.

It's kind of a generalization, but it is likely what I would do. But if you can ride the L with an 11cm stem, for example, or the XL with a 10cm stem and get a similar reach, then I'd probably go with the smaller frame.

Caveat: I don't know how the headtube lengths compare on each. Will your bars be lower than you'd like on the L?

· Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
jtolleson said:
If you need to use shorter than a 9cm stem on the XL (preferably not shorter than a 10) then size up. If you have to use longer than a 12 stem on the L, then size down.

It's kind of a generalization, but it is likely what I would do. But if you can ride the L with an 11cm stem, for example, or the XL with a 10cm stem and get a similar reach, then I'd probably go with the smaller frame.

Caveat: I don't know how the headtube lengths compare on each. Will your bars be lower than you'd like on the L?

I think you explained it backwards.

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
brianmcg said:
I think you explained it backwards.

You are Correct sir! Apparently I was having an Alice-in-Wonderland moment. Let's try again...

If you need to use shorter than a 9cm stem on the XL (preferably not shorter than a 10) then size DOWN. If you have to use longer than a 12 stem on the L, then size UP.

I think the rest of my discussion applies...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.