Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Quick Update, 7/23/08 - Performance makes Good!

------------------
To: "Marlon XXXXXXXX"
Subject: RE: Order # 5438139 - Overbilled on items
Created: July 23, 2008, 10:11:02 AM (Wed, 23 Jul 2008 13:11:02 -0400)
Received: July 23, 2008, 10:22:52 AM (Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:22:52 -0700)

Dear Mr. Tang,

We show the order did not reflect a web coupon. We have issued a refund
to the credit card for $39.97 for the coupon and $3.50 for the
additional tax charged. We apologize for the inconvenience and error.

Regards,
Jennifer
Customer Service
------------------

The Short Synopsis: Performancebike overbilled me without my consent when I had backordered items - they forgot to apply a discount coupon I had used. However, Customer Service resolved my complaint and refunded me in just over 7 hours after I alerted them to the issue by email. So while Performancebike's service is still top-notch in my books, please beware and check your credit card statement on your orders, especially if they have backorders!

Here's the full story:

On the evening of June 15th, 2008, I placed an order for a number of items with Performancebike.com. The order total that was finalized and emailed to me, which also included a web coupon for a 15% discount and free shipping (Note: the code, 439, came from a Performancebike.com ad email sent to me, it was NOT scavenged from the forums!), came to $244.21.

Payment was approved in the form of $239.21 billed to my American
Express credit card, and a 500 point redemption (equivalent to $5.00)
from my Team Performance Points. I received an email the morning of June 16th confirming all of the above.

Over the last month however, I have been billed on my credit card the
following amounts:

- $202.90 on June 16th (this was for the bulk of the order, there some items on backorder)

- $43.47 on June 18th (part 1....)

- $8.70 on June 25th (part 2...)

- $27.21 on July 7th (and the last backordered item...)

The above amounts total $282.28 and do not take into account the 500 points redeemed from my Team Performance Points.

My Beefs With All of This:

1. That's really odd that they overbilled me like that - 18% more than I agreed to!

2. I'm super uncomfortable with the fact that they billed me that amount without my consent.

3. If they had a problem with the order and decided that they couldn't offer the items I wanted at the price they originally offered, fine, I can understand that even though it is technically a breach of contract - but why didn't they give me a call or email or anything to notify me of that?

But, as you can see, Customer Service solved my problems quickly and efficiently. It still doesn't completely absolve them from the mistake in the first place, but at least I still have faith in them.

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,124 Posts
Funny,

I had the exact thing happen to me about a month ago. Long story short, there has been so much confusion about points, good vs. bad codes, sale differences, etc. that I simply do not shop there anymore, and I was a loyal customer from back in my high school days.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
I think that you are only going to get the free shipping on the first shipment. If you want free shipping for all, you have to tell them not to ship until they have it all. What do the packing slips and your online account say? - TF

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
TurboTurtle said:
I think that you are only going to get the free shipping on the first shipment. If you want free shipping for all, you have to tell them not to ship until they have it all. What do the packing slips and your online account say? - TF
That's the funny thing. There's a line item on all the invoices with the individual parts that came to me that clearly says TEAM PBS VIP SHIPPING - .00. And there's a great big blank spot next to the place where shipping charges should be. So Performance did make good in that yes, they didn't charge for shipping for any of the individual packages that made it to me - BUT, that still doesn't make up for the overbilling. They simply ignored the 15% discount coupon and billed me more on top of that.

Another thing that bugs me is the fact that they shipped out each item as it because available - in this day and age of rising costs, shouldn't Performance have made it a standard policy to wait until all backorderd items were in stock before shipping stuff out? From a supply chain management viewpoint I can perhaps see why they might want to fulfill a portion of the order as the necessary inventory came in, but surely Performance's inventory management systems could coordinate the necessary 3 weeks (21 days) it took to fulfill my order to completion. I'd estimate that the labour and cost savings in holding back a total of 4 pieces of inventory, ranging from a 20 oz bottle of sport wash (this was the biggest/heaviest item) to 2 pairs of mountain bike grips, would be less than having their inventory pickers and shippers grab incoming items and ship as they come in.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,324 Posts
zooog said:
Ithas come to the point I will not order items that are back ordered from performance. Too much of a hassle as the billing is always messed up. They will correct but it is still a hassle.

Bingo. If an item is backordered on Nashbar or Performance, you may not see it for 6 months. Just not worth it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me. I ordered about 4 items one of which was a bottle of cytomax. I received my confirmation just fine through email and then waited for my package. When it arrived there was no cytomax and the receipt said it was backordered. So I figured ok, and I ordered it elsewhere. then a week later it shows up but they conveniently forgot to apply my points as well as the 20% off that I was supposed to get for my order. I would think that the moment they found that it was backordered they would have emailed or called me and asked if I wanted a different flavor, wanted the whole order to wait untill it was in, or to just cancell the cytomax. In all fairness if they keep track of their products the website shouldnt have even let me order it. Point being I wasnt even made aware of it being backordered untill I opened the box. Not exactly the customer service I would expect from what is basically the only chain bike shop in america.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.