Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here is my *semi* short review of QuadMultiSports in Arlington, MA.

Let me preface it by explaining who I am and what situation I am in. I'm a 21 year old student who is just getting into the triathlon scene after enjoying road biking for years. I have started training and have tried many bikes, ultimately arriving at the decision to purchase a Scott Plasma.

Now as to where I am... I'm from NH but am currently located in New Zealand, studying abroad for a semester. I will be competing in two tris near the end of the summer in New England, so I was looking for a bike to greet me when I get home so that I can start getting used to riding it right away.

Alright, so now that that's out of the way, I will begin my enthralling tale of my search for an '07 Plasma. Why '07? Because of the 105 component group. Why do I love 105? Who knows, but for some reason I have an obsession with it.

I went on the Scott USA site to see where the dealers in NH/MA were located, and shot them all an e-mail inquiring whether they had the '07 52cm Scott in stock. All the retailers replied that they did not, however QuadMultiSports (to be abbreviated as QMS) told me they could order it for me directly from Scott, and it was exactly the specs I was looking for. Sweet. But it was only in 54cm, because that's all they had left. I was told by Thomas Newton (owner, I'm assuming) that a 52cm would definitely not fit me, and that I needed the 54cm. So I went to my LBS here in New Zealand and inquired about the sizing. They got me on the trainer and videocaptured my movements on the 52cm they had and said that I looked well-fitted and there would be no problem running a 52. Likewise with the 54, though I'd just be farther forward in the saddle.

So at this point, I have two decisions

NZ Shop - 52cm
QMS - 54cm

I inquire about the price, and they quote me at a price that I believed to be a bit more than the NZ shop, so I counter their offer with my own. They reply that the price they set is the lowest they will go. And then the pressuring begins. I tell them that I am going to stop in the shop here in NZ, and in response I get this

If you want the opportunity to own a Scott plasma well below retail, we except MC or Visa. You won't find a better deal anywere else. You know what they say about talking the talk. Thomas

Now this caught me a little off guard, as the last statement is a little uncalled for and just seems like a pressuring sales tactic, though a bit cryptic at the least. Whatever it was, it didn't strike the right tone.

I found out that I had in fact been misquoted at the NZ shop here, so QMS was the cheaper option by a long shot. But their tone didn't sit correctly with me and I wasn't about the give into their tactics. So I countered again, only to be completely rejected. Understandable, they don't want to sell without a gain, which I'm assuming I was probably asking them to do. It is then that I was told the model was Ultegra components, and this was the reason for the higher-than-normal price for a previous year Plasma Team. I remind you, they confirmed when I first contacted them that the bike had 105s on it.

Everything seemed shady to me, and after weighing how much I wanted to spend, I decided that since they didn't lake my not-so-lowball offer, I would just wait it out on a used one and hope for a seller with the same body dimensions as me. I sent an e-mail to QMS saying

I'll wait around for a used one and get fitted at my LBS. Thanks.

That is an exact quote. I was in no way rude to them, just expressing my desire to wait it out and get fitted at my LBS back in NH when I get home. After all I don't need it for another 2.5 months...

Oh but here's the good part! This is the response I get to the previously quoted message!

I would wait for a used one too. They always fit better when the seat post is cut to someone else's measurements. Maybe your LBS can glue a piece back on for you. I know it worked on my plasma. Your fos lbs can probably work wonders us mere mortals can't.

Wow. Simply, wow. This is the type of response I would expect from a middle schooler, not a serious business. It's as if they realized that they weren't going to get the sale so decided to take a jab at me instead.

Sure, I'm no pro triathlete. No, I don't have an unlimited amount of spending money, and yes I am looking for the best deal I can get. But in no way whatsoever does this give a bike shop a reason to treat me, a potential customer, with so much blatant disrespect and sarcasm. I was absolutely floored by their childish response. Never again will I even consider purchasing an item from QuadMultiSports, and I will go out of my way to make sure everyone knows about this negative experience. It's a shame that multi-sport shops like this one have to act in such an immature manner. It's hard enough to find a dedicated Tri store.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Similar experience..

I went in there a few years back looking for a new wheel for my MTB. Bought something after instructing the owner that I was looking to either stay at the same component level or move up. I was told of the wonders of this great strong wheel. When I got home, checked it out online, and while I'm sure it was strong - I'm not sure it was great. I was looking for a cross country wheel and he sold me a downhill wheel. I brought it back, explaining that I wanted something better, at which point he started pointing out the $1000 bling wheelsets that I could buy. I got my money back.

In their defense, the shops runs great group rides (road) on weekends - so that's a plus. I think they're handicapped by lack of space. There just isn't lots of floor space there, so they can't compete with Wheelworks or CycleLoft or Landrys. They stock the high end, the low end, and try to capitalize on the bike path that runs through town.

The owner's aggressive style is definitely not what I'm used to - but it might be a cultural thing.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
So you've never shopped at this store, have no rapport with them, they are the only shop that has the bike you're looking for - and you expect a discount beyond their normal discounted price (he did say "below retail")?

Then when you don't get the price you want to pay, you're put off by a snarky response when threatening them to take your business elsewhere?

Gotcha....I don't currently shop there, but you've done a poor job of convincing me not to.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
please read the entire thread in general if you want the full story.

I couldn't care less if you think I did a poor job convincing you not to shop there. I've convinced at least one person, that's honestly all that matters. People both on here and Slowtwitch know what kind of sales tactics they now use, especially after the response thread by the owner on ST.

I got my bike at $500 less than they wanted to charge me, and I couldn't be happier dealing with a pleasant and understanding seller instead of being pressured to buy a bike which is different than the one I originally was after. Over and out.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
livin4lax09 said:
please read the entire thread in general if you want the full story.

I couldn't care less if you think I did a poor job convincing you not to shop there. I've convinced at least one person, that's honestly all that matters. People both on here and Slowtwitch know what kind of sales tactics they now use, especially after the response thread by the owner on ST.

I got my bike at $500 less than they wanted to charge me, and I couldn't be happier dealing with a pleasant and understanding seller instead of being pressured to buy a bike which is different than the one I originally was after. Over and out.
I read your entire story. Twice.

It still leaves me with one question - what makes you think you were entitled to a discount?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
yanksphan said:
I read your entire story. Twice.

It still leaves me with one question - what makes you think you were entitled to a discount?
It's pretty clear that the OP is not upset about not getting a discount. He's put off by the rude and unprofessional response. Also clear is that his final decision was not because he did not get a further discount - it was because the bike was not exactly the size he wanted and did not have the components he desired.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
Sounds like QMS went above and beyond. No one else in New England could find you a Scott Plasma, but QMS offered to help. Instead of being grateful, you try to haggle them down. They tell you that they can't go down because it's already well below retail...for a bike with better components than 105. Well, is that true? Was it well below retail?

Yet, you try to haggle them down *again.* Why? You also state that the New Zealand shop misquoted the price, making the bike much more expensive than the QMS bike. Why aren't you writing a long thread ripping the New Zealand shop for misquoting the price?

Then, after trying to haggle down QMS twice, you blow them off and tell them you'll buy used. You basically spit in their face. And because of that, I think their response is pretty appropriate. I live in NYC, and if you tried to pull that in any LBS here, you'd be laughed out of the store.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
rogerstg said:
It's pretty clear that the OP is not upset about not getting a discount. He's put off by the rude and unprofessional response. Also clear is that his final decision was not because he did not get a further discount - it was because the bike was not exactly the size he wanted and did not have the components he desired.
The conversation between the two parties went sour when the OP tried to negotiate price.

That's why I asked the question - why did the OP think he was entitled to a discount?

Just because it had BETTER components than what he was looking for? If that's the case - it's time to tell the dealer - "this is not the bike I am looking for" - and leave it at that. It's ok for price to be an issue as a consumer - but the retailer should not be expected to accommodate any price restrictions the consumer has.

While somewhat crude, I think their response was warranted.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
What's wrong with haggling? If the shop can't give you the price you're asking for they can tell you.

I find it strange that a shop would say a rider "definitely needs a 54 cm" without fitting him in person.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
mendo said:
What's wrong with haggling? If the shop can't give you the price you're asking for they can tell you.

I find it strange that a shop would say a rider "definitely needs a 54 cm" without fitting him in person.
I agree, I found that strange too, so I poked around a little - what's more puzzling is why the OP failed to mention that the shop offered a FIST Certified Fit included with the reduced price they gave him after he "haggled".

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin...isport;guest=33657672&t=search_engine#1805170

There's most likely 3 sides to this story - the OP, the Shop, and the truth....
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
livin4lax09 said:
please read the entire thread in general if you want the full story.

I couldn't care less if you think I did a poor job convincing you not to shop there. I've convinced at least one person, that's honestly all that matters. People both on here and Slowtwitch know what kind of sales tactics they now use, especially after the response thread by the owner on ST.

I got my bike at $500 less than they wanted to charge me, and I couldn't be happier dealing with a pleasant and understanding seller instead of being pressured to buy a bike which is different than the one I originally was after. Over and out.
Get over it and grow up. I think I'll actually give them some business as I think they were right to respond the way they did. so, thanks for the recommendation!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No one is getting the order of events correct.

I ask for a less than 6% discount. They say no. Why did I ask for it? I was trying to gauge what they were actually paying for the bike. They say no, OK.

I receive sarcastic e-mail and am put off.

Ask for the same discount, saying if they can't match it then I'll just buy used because the price still seemed high to me and I couldn't afford paying that much.

THEN and only then did they tell me the bike had ultegra components and included a FIST certified fit (not mentioned at first because it didn't affect my decision. At that point I had already made up my mind that since the price was too high I wouldn't be buying). Because the bike was Ultegra components it finally made sense to me why the shop wanted a couple hundred more than I was asking for and why they were so unwilling to budge on price. But I didn't want ultegra in the first place, because I felt 105 was good enough for what I was doing. So I said I would wait to buy used.

I NEVER asked for a discount after they told me the bike had ultegra or a FIST certified fit, which everyone seems to think I wrote. I guess you hear what you want to hear, huh? Had they told me that in the first place this whole thing would have been avoided.

I spit in their face because I decided to buy somewhere else instead of them? You're right, they had taken 15 whole minutes out of their week to call scott and shoot me a few e-mails. How inconsiderate of me take my business everywhere, after all that work they did for me! :rolleyes:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
livin4lax09 said:
No one is getting the order of events correct.

I ask for a less than 6% discount. They say no. Why did I ask for it? I was trying to gauge what they were actually paying for the bike. They say no, OK.

I receive sarcastic e-mail and am put off.

Ask for the same discount, saying if they can't match it then I'll just buy used because the price still seemed high to me and I couldn't afford paying that much.

THEN and only then did they tell me the bike had ultegra components and included a FIST certified fit (not mentioned at first because it didn't affect my decision. At that point I had already made up my mind that since the price was too high I wouldn't be buying). Because the bike was Ultegra components it finally made sense to me why the shop wanted a couple hundred more than I was asking for and why they were so unwilling to budge on price. But I didn't want ultegra in the first place, because I felt 105 was good enough for what I was doing. So I said I would wait to buy used.

I NEVER asked for a discount after they told me the bike had ultegra or a FIST certified fit, which everyone seems to think I wrote. I guess you hear what you want to hear, huh? Had they told me that in the first place this whole thing would have been avoided.

I spit in their face because I decided to buy somewhere else instead of them? You're right, they had taken 15 whole minutes out of their week to call scott and shoot me a few e-mails. How inconsiderate of me take my business everywhere, after all that work they did for me! :rolleyes:
The first, plus this post makes it clearer. The first post alone makes you sound like a web douche.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top