Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Beware QuadMultiSports! (Bike Shop Review)

2K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  B15serv 
#1 ·
This is in two places just because I want the regional viewers to see it as well, if they don't frequent the general forum. Do what you wish with either of them, no worries either way.

Alright, here is my *semi* short review of QuadMultiSports in Arlington, MA.

Let me preface it by explaining who I am and what situation I am in. I'm a 21 year old student who is just getting into the triathlon scene after enjoying road biking for years. I have started training and have tried many bikes, ultimately arriving at the decision to purchase a Scott Plasma.

Now as to where I am... I'm from NH but am currently located in New Zealand, studying abroad for a semester. I will be competing in two tris near the end of the summer in New England, so I was looking for a bike to greet me when I get home so that I can start getting used to riding it right away.

Alright, so now that that's out of the way, I will begin my enthralling tale of my search for an '07 Plasma. Why '07? Because of the 105 component group. Why do I love 105? Who knows, but for some reason I have an obsession with it.

I went on the Scott USA site to see where the dealers in NH/MA were located, and shot them all an e-mail inquiring whether they had the '07 52cm Scott in stock. All the retailers replied that they did not, however QuadMultiSports (to be abbreviated as QMS) told me they could order it for me directly from Scott, and it was exactly the specs I was looking for. Sweet. But it was only in 54cm, because that's all they had left. I was told by Thomas Newton (owner, I'm assuming) that a 52cm would definitely not fit me, and that I needed the 54cm. So I went to my LBS here in New Zealand and inquired about the sizing. They got me on the trainer and videocaptured my movements on the 52cm they had and said that I looked well-fitted and there would be no problem running a 52. Likewise with the 54, though I'd just be farther forward in the saddle.

So at this point, I have two decisions

NZ Shop - 52cm
QMS - 54cm

I inquire about the price, and they quote me at a price that I believed to be a bit more than the NZ shop, so I counter their offer with my own. They reply that the price they set is the lowest they will go. And then the pressuring begins. I tell them that I am going to stop in the shop here in NZ, and in response I get this

If you want the opportunity to own a Scott plasma well below retail, we except MC or Visa. You won't find a better deal anywere else. You know what they say about talking the talk. Thomas

Now this caught me a little off guard, as the last statement is a little uncalled for and just seems like a pressuring sales tactic, though a bit cryptic at the least. Whatever it was, it didn't strike the right tone.

I found out that I had in fact been misquoted at the NZ shop here, so QMS was the cheaper option by a long shot. But their tone didn't sit correctly with me and I wasn't about the give into their tactics. So I countered again, only to be completely rejected. Understandable, they don't want to sell without a gain, which I'm assuming I was probably asking them to do. It is then that I was told the model was Ultegra components, and this was the reason for the higher-than-normal price for a previous year Plasma Team. I remind you, they confirmed when I first contacted them that the bike had 105s on it.

Everything seemed shady to me, and after weighing how much I wanted to spend, I decided that since they didn't lake my not-so-lowball offer, I would just wait it out on a used one and hope for a seller with the same body dimensions as me. I sent an e-mail to QMS saying

I'll wait around for a used one and get fitted at my LBS. Thanks.

That is an exact quote. I was in no way rude to them, just expressing my desire to wait it out and get fitted at my LBS back in NH when I get home. After all I don't need it for another 2.5 months...

Oh but here's the good part! This is the response I get to the previously quoted message!

I would wait for a used one too. They always fit better when the seat post is cut to someone else's measurements. Maybe your LBS can glue a piece back on for you. I know it worked on my plasma. Your fos lbs can probably work wonders us mere mortals can't.

Wow. Simply, wow. This is the type of response I would expect from a middle schooler, not a serious business. It's as if they realized that they weren't going to get the sale so decided to take a jab at me instead.

Sure, I'm no pro triathlete. No, I don't have an unlimited amount of spending money, and yes I am looking for the best deal I can get. But in no way whatsoever does this give a bike shop a reason to treat me, a potential customer, with so much blatant disrespect and sarcasm. I was absolutely floored by their childish response. Never again will I even consider purchasing an item from QuadMultiSports, and I will go out of my way to make sure everyone knows about this negative experience. It's a shame that multi-sport shops like this one have to act in such an immature manner. It's hard enough to find a dedicated Tri store.

See less See more
#3 ·
You called them from New Zeland? Do they know who you are? Are you a regular customer they deal with often? Come on. Your request no matter how genuine was pretty ridiculous. Order me a bike I am in NZ, It is a bike you wouldn't normally stock or sell, I want to pay less than retail, I am unsure of fit, it is a closeout special order, please store it for 2.5 months, You don't know me, I swear I'll pick it up when I get home.
He treated you like you were joking, I would have too, this world is nuts and full of crazy people, you sound like one.

#4 ·
Exactly, and I didn't say it would. Beware, per its definition, simply means be cautious in dealing with them, I'm simply posting this as an example of what I encountered with QMS.

Alternatively, just because someone has a bad experience with a frame doesn't mean everyone will have that same experience. But it helps to hear about that experience so that you can be on the lookout for the same problem. This is the whole reasoning behind reviews, is it not?

#6 ·
Howzitbroke said:
You called them from New Zeland? Do they know who you are? Are you a regular customer they deal with often? Come on. Your request no matter how genuine was pretty ridiculous. Order me a bike I am in NZ, It is a bike you wouldn't normally stock or sell, I want to pay less than retail, I am unsure of fit, it is a closeout special order, please store it for 2.5 months, You don't know me, I swear I'll pick it up when I get home.
He treated you like you were joking, I would have too, this world is nuts and full of crazy people, you sound like one.
OK I should have explained more in depth, I would have paid via credit card and have a friend pick the bike up at the shop for me when the deal had gone through. They would not have been in charge of storing anything, and would have gotten the money up front.

#7 ·
FatTireFred said:
"I counter their offer with my own"
"I countered again"

prob not a good tactic to begin with, esp on a special order item... live and learn
Yeah, you're probably right. But I figured if they wanted the sale they would go for it if they could make profit. I was just trying to feel out what they were actually paying for it. Kind of like bargaining w/ a car salesmen I guess... but yeah I haven't done this many times before so I'm not all that experienced at it.

#12 ·
I'm sure the shop is amused by all of this. I get the feeling that we don't have all the pieces to this puzzle. I would like to see what you said, exact words before passing judgement .Assuming the language of your quotes is correct, the shop may not have used the most correct choice of words in your dealings, but hey every day I get a dozen or so inquiries just like yours every day, and maybe one of them a week turns into a sale. Those experienced in retail can tell if a customer is interested right away be it through email, or dealings in person. You weren't interested, they knew that, they didn't care. Kudos on the shop for that last comment on the bike fit and the seat mast.It may not have been the best way to say it, but it needed to be said.

#13 ·
FatTireFred said:
they (the shop) are prob reading this thread and laughing....
+1

I sense that the shop felt that you had the potential to cause them more aggrevation that any deal would be worth to them. Some times when you see the handwriting on the wall, early on, its best to cut your losses (time invested) and move on. As previously stated they moved on when they clicked the "send" button".

#14 ·
It sounds like they gave you a great deal on a bike with better components (Ultegra Vs 105) and at a lower price than the other shop. And you responded by asking for more of a discount? I don't see that the shop did anything wrong, maybe a little blunt but I don't think they were out of line.

#16 ·
Dude I am with you on this one. Im going to say something that should go for everyone that owns a business. The internet is slowly choking the life out of retail stores and I think I have found out why. The one thing that a brick and mortar store has that the internet cant take away is customer service. Yet for some reason about 75% of lbs I go to have aweful service and treat you like crap unless youre a 40 year old guy in a suit that parked his Bmw outside. I had a local trekstore size me up on a 53cm Lemond with a 110mm stem closeout that they wanted to get rid of. It would have been fine but im 5'6 and that bike is waaaaaay too big for me. And dont even get me started on the illinois shop that swaps out factory parts for lower grade ones and tries to pass the bikes off at stock at full price. I think that what they said to you is a prime example of why local shops are going to vanish. If im going to get treated like that from the "professionals" than why shouldnt I just go to the internet and save $?

#17 · (Edited)
Slightly different experience...

I have not shopped at Quad Multisport, but have had numerous interactions with Quad Cycles across the street (I believe they are financially tied together). Though I did not purchase my bike there (didn't know about them when I was in the market), they have been very helpful with fitting and upgrades, never pushy, but spot on with recommendations. In addition, they sponsor an every saturday and sunday morning ride from their shop year round, allowing cyclists to wander around their shop before they open, use the restrooms, fill up water bottles etc. It's hard to imagine Rustem or Bobby Mac treating any half-way reasonable customer rudely...They also have a nice website... www.quadcycles.com check out the pics if you want the real flavor of this shop...http://www.quadcycles.com/photos.htm

#18 ·
Yeah... +1 for Quad being a great shop. I haven't shopped at QMS at all, but they are straight up people.

You should be more pissed at the NZ shop that quoted you the wrong price and made you look like an a$$ when you "re-countered".

Come on. They didn't rip you off, sell you a piece of crap, or try to force you onto a bike you didn't want. And you turn around and disparage them on rbr? Sorry, not really sympathetic.

#19 ·
Amazing responses... Once again, the roadbikereview crowd here sides with the infallible-sacred LBS. I guess the only way a LBS would be criticized on this forum is if a shop employee literally shot a customer for not asking proper questions, but then the LBS employee would certainly have had a good reason.

Here's what I suspect. Most of you folks are in fact LBS employees. You spend all day commenting on forums like this because:

1. you have nothing better to do all day,
2. because there's no one coming into the shop,
3. because you believe the customer owes you a living,
4. because someone who hasn't been a buddy of yours for at least 5 years has the audacity to dicker on price,
5. because the potential customer phoning from across the globe may not be there to genuflect before you and say "Amen O-Holy One" when the bike is picked up.

livin4lax09, your only mistake was to believe that shops like QuadMultiSports in Arlington, MA, are interested in joining the 21st century. Naw, they're still playing the "We're the high priests of the biking community and you must come through us before passing into the bike-riding realm" game.

Most folks have actually passed them by a long time ago. The alternatives abound. They just haven't realized it yet. No, in fact I think they're spending all their free time here on this forum, wondering why nobody comes into their shop anymore. Hmmmm... I wonder why...?

Unless you can find one of those rare shops that actually have joined the 21st century, just stick with purchasing from the internet whenever possible. Let the LBS high priests continue to be dumb founded.

To everyone else. I don't really care if you are or are not an LBS employee. It was a rhetorical device. Or do you need that explained to you as well.

#21 ·
I gotta say, whether or not the OP was a little aggressive in his quest for a good deal, the final reply from the bike shop was uncalled for, plain and simple.

They lost a customer, pissed him off enough that he's now telling everyone he knows not to shop there. That's a bad business model any way you slice it.

It's not that hard to just say, "Sorry, we can't hit your price- good luck in your search and let us know when you want to upgrade!"

But, heck, I'm a headset press away from never needing an LBS again...

#22 ·
buck-50 said:
I gotta say, whether or not the OP was a little aggressive in his quest for a good deal, the final reply from the bike shop was uncalled for, plain and simple.

They lost a customer, pissed him off enough that he's now telling everyone he knows not to shop there. That's a bad business model any way you slice it.

It's not that hard to just say, "Sorry, we can't hit your price- good luck in your search and let us know when you want to upgrade!"

Excellent :thumbsup:

#23 ·
livin4lax09 said:
Yeah, you're probably right. But I figured if they wanted the sale they would go for it if they could make profit. I was just trying to feel out what they were actually paying for it. Kind of like bargaining w/ a car salesmen I guess... but yeah I haven't done this many times before so I'm not all that experienced at it.
There's a lot of smart asses working in bikeshops for some reason. I don't know where the attitude comes from but it's a common complaint. The guy obviously didn't take you seriously as a potential customer and decided to satisfy his ego rather give you any respect, hence the rudeness, but in the long run you're better off buying in person anyway.

Good luck w/ the plasma hunt.

#24 ·
buck-50 said:

agree...you should be as nice as you can to jerks as well as good customers. Jerks are more likely to tell others of their bad experience with you. Better to just say that "we don't haggle" and leave it at that. As the OP found out, bike sales are not like used car sales. Haggling might be possible, but it isn't all that common in my experience. The margins on a bike are just not that high.

#25 ·
VaughnA said:
It sounds like they gave you a great deal on a bike with better components (Ultegra Vs 105) and at a lower price than the other shop. And you responded by asking for more of a discount? I don't see that the shop did anything wrong, maybe a little blunt but I don't think they were out of line.
They didn't in fact tell me that the bike had ultegra until I "haggled" a second time. I didn't ask for a discount after I saw the bike had ultegra, and I understood why the price was what it was. If the tone had been good at that point I probably would have bought it.

#26 ·
Politeness

buck-50 said:

I wonder how many LBS people realize how effective is basic politeness. I used to avoid one LBS because there was a guy who was a jerk, not just to me but to everyone not in his friends-circle. He is gone and now there is a guy who says hello, knows my name, and asks once-only if I need help. Now they have my business again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.