Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a 30 mile solo ride today, and the last couple miles were a pain in the ass, literally. I realize 30 miles is nothing to a lot of people, but I rarely do more than 15-20 in a day. And is usually broken up.

But today, I woke up feeling good, having finally gotten over the flu, had the day off, and decided to go for it. It was a goreous day for Chicago's South Shore. I decided it was finally time to explore a little more of the city, and just rode aimlessly, without thinking about my speed or distance, or what time it was.

I realized comming home that I was totally at the edge of my physical limit (and mental), and I totally rergretted leaving my iPod at a friends house, but I f*@^ing did it! It hurt but I finished! I literally collapsed on the couch when I got home, after almost losing my balance getting of my bike. I need to start pushing my self more often, because now that Im rested and showered I feel great. Reminds me of my racing days (XC skiing and running, not biking).

·
Registered
642 Posts
fuel

How long were you riding?
If your on the bike for more than an hour (milage may vary), you might want carry something to replace spent blood sugar. There is lot of opinion on what to use, I like fig newtons.

The weather to your North couldn't be better. I took break from my usual fitness riding and did a little urban adventuring last week. It was a lot of fun. Made me want a more appropriate urban prowling bike.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Congrats on the 30 miles. There are many, many folks who would never consider going that far. Good on ya.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No matter if it's 10, 30, or 200 miles everyone has their own personal "limit." It's a great feeling when you start pushing it out! Keep up the good work and soon enough you'll be doing 30 miles in a day and not even thinking about it!

Jared

·
Registered
117 Posts
i started out doing 20 miles and when i went to 30 miles i took a break at 15 miles. the 30 miles seemed alot to do but now 2 years later 30 miles seems like a short workout. 100 miles are now pretty easy, so just keep at it and things do get better.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I was out for about 3 hours (I stopped at the Beach for a little bit), and realized about half an hour in that I had left the snacks I had ready on my kitchen counter, so it was totally my fault that I was so drained. I would have had a chocolate chip odwalla bar and fruit if i wasn't such a space cadet sometimes. I rode in critical mass (about 25 miles including getting to the meetup point and home again after) yesterday, and wasn't nearly as sore today as I expected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.