Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scheduled a full 3 hr BG fit for this Saturday. The cost locally is $300 (or I can drive an hour each way and do it for $200).

I'm basically wondering if anyone has had this done and if so, was it worth it and how much was it?

The place I'm getting it performed at is costly (obviously)...as is their stuff (often way overpriced). The gentleman performs ing the fit comes highly recommended from many people I know. What I'm afraid of is if he starts telling me i have to buy a new stem, or tell me my seat is too wide...then tell me the stem is an additional $175 or the seat an extra $300...

Basically, I'm just wondering if a $300 fit is worth the cost....

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I should better explain myself.

I've been having knee issues since getting my new bike in Jan and switching to SPD SL cleats. I do understand the importance of a good fit.

What I'm afraid of is hitting my financial wall (which, at this point is pretty much ending at the cost of the fit), having the guy tell me I need some $150+ part to continue (seriously, their parts are that overpriced), me refusing then the fit going to crap. $300 down the drain.

I guess I should just ask...of those that have been properly fit, how many had to buy all new parts like a stem, seat, shoes or other adds that jacked the price up?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You don't have to buy anything! They will (should) recommend what you need and fit the bike the best they can to what you have, if you don't want to buy right then. When I had my fit done I did not need anything but they did make some recommendations. Such as better wheels and bar. My bike fit was so close to me it was not worth the money but I would not have known unless I had the fit done so yes it was worth it. Good luck

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I just saw it at a LBS today in Albuquerque. Can't really comment about it, but I did LOL when I saw the tool for measuring your A$$ and had compression stuff to sit on to try and figure out the perfect saddle for you. I asked if he would measure my A$$ for me to see if my seat was right for me. I ride it 20 hours a week, and would be curious to see if their tool said it was right for me. Of course I would never switch as I love my SLR saddles.

338 Posts
You don't have to buy their stuff. A couple of years ago I went for a retul fitting and I needed a lot of changes (and it made a big difference in my comfort and position), but the stuff they wanted me to buy I didn't like and I think they expected me to just do whatever they told me. I bought what I wanted, installed it and then went back for them to check everything out (since it was included w/ the original fitting) and then went on my way.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah...a return is included in the fit so possibly ill just do that. I know I keep saying it, but there no way I'm paying their prices on components.

I've chewed in it some more and I guess I'll go for it...although $300 is a big hunk of cheddar. At least it will give me a "base" to work from in the future. I'm not fit expert by a long shot but I can adjust my own bike. If he shows me what's "correct" and at least gives me a feel for what is right...I can build from that.

...and I'm really curious about cleat placement...I'd like to know how far off I am. I'm more afraid of damaging my knees that anything...and screwing them up will cost me much more than $300...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I just had a 2D fit and they installed washers to get the pedals pushed out, sold me some fairly cheap insole for my shoes for arch support. it made a huge difference. I would budget for a new stem, those usually aren't too expensive and have a huge impact on your position.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My thought: if you aren't prepared to buy the components to get you in the correct position during the fit, you shouldn't be doing the fit. Go elsewhere for a fit at a shop you'll make the purchases necessary to get the correct fit. The free follow up is for position tweaks because a fit on a trainer indoors may get you in an optimal position that isn't exactly your best real world road position. You loose the tweaking by using that return visit to verify you got the original fit correct.

Your bike is still relatively new. Where did you purchase? What kind of initial fit did they do? Can they do a more comprehensive fit?

I have a buddy that just went back 18 months after buying a bike at a shop to get it fit at the same shop. The fitter told him the bike didn't fit him (a 58) and recommended a 54. The shop gave him a full refund on the original bike and got him on a new bike that fit properly. Not all salespeople will get you on the proper size bike to start.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My thought: if you aren't prepared to buy the components to get you in the correct position during the fit, you shouldn't be doing the fit. Go elsewhere for a fit at a shop you'll make the purchases necessary to get the correct fit. The free follow up is for position tweaks because a fit on a trainer indoors may get you in an optimal position that isn't exactly your best real world road position. You loose the tweaking by using that return visit to verify you got the original fit correct.

Your bike is still relatively new. Where did you purchase? What kind of initial fit did they do? Can they do a more comprehensive fit?

I have a buddy that just went back 18 months after buying a bike at a shop to get it fit at the same shop. The fitter told him the bike didn't fit him (a 58) and recommended a 54. The shop gave him a full refund on the original bike and got him on a new bike that fit properly. Not all salespeople will get you on the proper size bike to start.
My bike is a '12 Specialized Tarmac (if I haven't mentioned that yet). I bought it from a local dealer that is great to work with...but their passion is clearly mountain bikes. They did set me up when I first got the bike in terms of seat height but that was about it.

As for the frame size, I'm 6' tall and on a 56 frame. I spent last year on a 56 frame Roubaix and it rode pretty well, a bit stretched but I know that had to do with the fact that it was originally tweaked for the 6' 2" owner I was borrowing it from. I knew the Tarmac had a slightly tighter geometry thus the fact I stuck with the 56 cm.

The LBS I got the bike from got it for me on clearance direct from Specialized...$2050 for a MSRP of $2750...it was a great deal. The other LBS (the fit shop) would have had it marked at $3500...then, after arguing with them, would have graciously marked it down to $3100 to make you feel like you were getting a deal. Yes, they are that bad. Last season they had a '11 SL2 Roubaix "marked down" to $2600...you could get the same bike at the shop I go to for $1900 it's insane. I wish I was kidding by saying this but a new stem and seat from them would easily run me $500...they're that high.

I keep saying it...but I'm mostly concerned about my shoes and cleat positioning...possibly I should call around and see what that would run me elsewhere...

·
Registered
382 Posts
My bike is a '12 Specialized Tarmac (if I haven't mentioned that yet). I bought it from a local dealer that is great to work with...but their passion is clearly mountain bikes. They did set me up when I first got the bike in terms of seat height but that was about it.

As for the frame size, I'm 6' tall and on a 56 frame. I spent last year on a 56 frame Roubaix and it rode pretty well, a bit stretched but I know that had to do with the fact that it was originally tweaked for the 6' 2" owner I was borrowing it from. I knew the Tarmac had a slightly tighter geometry thus the fact I stuck with the 56 cm.

The LBS I got the bike from got it for me on clearance direct from Specialized...$2050 for a MSRP of $2750...it was a great deal. The other LBS (the fit shop) would have had it marked at $3500...then, after arguing with them, would have graciously marked it down to $3100 to make you feel like you were getting a deal. Yes, they are that bad. Last season they had a '11 SL2 Roubaix "marked down" to $2600...you could get the same bike at the shop I go to for $1900 it's insane. I wish I was kidding by saying this but a new stem and seat from them would easily run me $500...they're that high.

I keep saying it...but I'm mostly concerned about my shoes and cleat positioning...possibly I should call around and see what that would run me elsewhere...
I think your answers regarding the shops pricing logically lead you to point that they will be pushing over-priced components during the fit. I'd go elsewhere.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
Why don't you try this as well before you go down to get your bike fitted to see if your bike is within the limits from this website.

Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

BTW what kind of knee issues are you having?

Take Care Of Your Knees - BikeRadar
Take Care Of Your Knees, Part 2 - BikeRadar

I have had thoughts of going for a bike fit, but what I am most concerned is that fact that my bike is confirmed to be the correct fit for me. But of course I do not have any problems with pain anywhere except the back which is down to me being inflexible, and which is alleviated by moving around on the saddle and standing up occasionally.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Wow, cannot believe you are going to waste $300 to let BG twist you into their angles.
Oh well your $ I guess.
+1 on that.

If you are spending a large amount if time in the saddle then I would consider it but for the vast majority of cyclists it’s far from necessary. We all think we spend a lot of time riding but most of us are sub 10hr/week riders (unfortunately).

IMO most can get the right fit with a guy who has a good amount of experience and uses classic and regular fit tools – for a much lesser price and a high amount of quality. He shouldn’t have any trouble assessing and helping knee pain too, it’s part of what they do. I got my basic fit from one of those guys and he was great to work with. And yes, he did recommend some things that I bought and other things that I didn’t – example of something I bought were shims for my shoes. He recommended them to align one of my legs more precisely and even out my stroke, and I needed a certain depth so we tried out different ones while he observed until the right one was found so that was something that obviously needed to be purchased at the shop. A shim may actually be the solution to your knee pain. He said he usually recommends new cleats (I had a cleat fit done at the same time) but I passed on those because my cleats were perfectly fine and didn’t need to be replaced. Of course the BG person will make recommendations for you to buy stuff, it’s not a swindle it’s part of what makes the fit, but if your budget is maxed out you won’t be able to use the benefits of the actual service. More likely though is that you’ll go over your budget and get what is recommended.

I think you would be better served by finding a fitter with a good rep and getting on his waiting list for a more basic fit. Then use the leftover $ to buy things that he recommends and make sense to you.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
I've been wanting to drop $300 for a BG Fit, but other things are getting in the way financially (ie... new seat, buy a Garmin soon, a new clutch/flywheel for the car)....

But, it really depends on how good the regular LBS fitter is. My LBS has a good fitter... though, the "sister" store does offer the BG Fit option. Right now, I'm doing rule #5 for my slightly longer (i think right) leg.

Switching from Look Keo Classic to Speedplay zero also seemed to help with my bad clutch (left) knee as well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've been wanting to drop $300 for a BG Fit, but other things are getting in the way financially (ie... new seat, buy a Garmin soon, a new clutch/flywheel for the car)....

But, it really depends on how good the regular LBS fitter is. My LBS has a good fitter... though, the "sister" store does offer the BG Fit option. Right now, I'm doing rule #5 for my slightly longer (i think right) leg.

Switching from Look Keo Classic to Speedplay zero also seemed to help with my bad clutch (left) knee as well.
i figured those royalties from cat scratch fever would run out one of these days.... lol :)

j/j

·
Registered
172 Posts

at least tell us what city your around se we know not to got there!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
at least tell us what city your around se we know not to got there!!
Peoria Illinois. We have a few decent sized LBS in our area...3 within short distance, 1 within an hr drive. I bought my bike from a shop called little Ades...great shop, super great owner and employees, I've gone there for years. Like I said though...more of a MTN bike shop than road:

Home - Little Ades

The shop with the fit is called Russels cycle...again, fairly friendly folks but their prices are silly:

Russell's Cycling & Fitness Center

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I had a Serotta fit about 5 years ago and a slight tweak the following year. I ended up still havnig some knee tendinitis and some foot pain. After a few years of fighting it, I got the BG fit last year and it was well worth the effort. Most of my problems were from a leg length discrepancy. My cleats were tweaked and all that pain is gone. Well worth the money in my book.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a Serotta fit about 5 years ago and a slight tweak the following year. I ended up still havnig some knee tendinitis and some foot pain. After a few years of fighting it, I got the BG fit last year and it was well worth the effort. Most of my problems were from a leg length discrepancy. My cleats were tweaked and all that pain is gone. Well worth the money in my book.
I haven't had a full BG fit, but did get some cleat tweaks when buying new Specialized shoes and some saddle and stem adjustments when I bought a new Specialized saddle free of charge. Occasional knee pain and arch pain have disappeared thanks to the adjustments the fitter made. Saddle moved forward and a longer stem (I already owned one, not Specialized) were merely suggestions to try out for comfort and power which I tried and liked.

In hindsight I'd happily pay for them - everybody's different but they really did the trick for me.

Only money spent other then shoes and saddle which I would have been buying somewhere anyways was for blue BG inserts.

I guess some can say it's over-hyped or over-priced but it worked for me.

Not sure if they offer it but maybe you can get some of the fitting a la carte. Sounds like you really just need some consultation on cleat position. You could easily get lucky like me and only need a few millimeters worth of change in cleat position to make those knee problems go away.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.