Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She suprised me with a.......

Kindle 2!!!!

An early birfday prezent to use on mah Jellystone field trip. YES!!

·
What the Hell is going on
5,046 Posts
I'm thinking 'bout getting one for my niece. What advantages does the Kindle have over the Sony Reader.

'Hanx.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JaeP said:
I'm thinking 'bout getting one for my niece. What advantages does the Kindle have over the Sony Reader.

'Hanx.
I am not the expert...

but I believe the Kindle is a little but easier to download books...no internet connection necessary.

I know looking at the Sony vs. Kindle....the kindle is lighter and easier to handle.
I havent tested the screen outside, yet.

I dont know how much it matters but I dont think that you can download library content on the kindle.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
innergel said:
Yellowstone Park wilderness trip and internet connected, battery powered book reader gadgets go perfect together.

you cant expect me to talk to my father the entire time, can you?

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
So you are going to Jellystone to read a book?

YOu can stay home and read it there for a lot less.

If you are in Jellystone, enjoy jellystone,
If you are bored, at home or locked in a dungeon, use your book to escape.

I don't get people that sit with their nose in a book while on vacation. You can do that anywhere.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
That's just her way of telling you she thinks you're a gadget wh()re. :wink:

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Chain said:
I don't get people that sit with their nose in a book while on vacation. You can do that anywhere.
Sometimes the only time I get to relax and read a book is on vacation.

I was more concerned with why you need an electronic reader. What's wrong with an actual, you know, printed book. It's not like you need 143 books with you on vacation. One or two would suffice.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
innergel said:
Sometimes the only time I get to relax and read a book is on vacation.

I was more concerned with why you need an electronic reader. What's wrong with an actual, you know, printed book. It's not like you need 143 books with you on vacation. One or two would suffice.
I guess part of it is the technology factor.

Ability to carry around a few papers, magazines, and books that are all available through the device.

No more trips to the bookstore, discount on new releases..etc..

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chain said:
So you are going to Jellystone to read a book?

YOu can stay home and read it there for a lot less.

If you are in Jellystone, enjoy jellystone,
If you are bored, at home or locked in a dungeon, use your book to escape.

omg, with the preaching, already..... :p

I will be in a car to and from to Yellowstone and on flights to and from Phoenix. I am not going to travel back and forth with my head hanging out the window like a dog (this may come as a suprise).

:)

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
JohnHenry said:
I guess part of it is the technology factor.

Ability to carry around a few papers, magazines, and books that are all available through the device.

No more trips to the bookstore, discount on new releases..etc..
You're already gonna be in some random convenience store in the middle of nowhere picking up extra beef jerky, Red Bull and local baked goods. Might as well pick up the local paper too. See what's in the classifieds or restaurant reviews. Mom and Pop would appreciate the business. Plus they'll get a kick out of your oversized white glasses, Pumas and paracord accessories.

Story: I was in Belton TX working and went for lunch. I picked up the local paper (8 pages) and thumbed through it. There was a restaurant review for McDonalds describing their "delicious burgers and casual atmosphere". :thumbsup:

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
JohnHenry said:
omg, with the preaching, already.....
This^^^^^

I don't get what's such a big deal about reading on vacation, regardless of the device. Is there no such thing as a quiet evening during a vacation? Does it never rain? Do people not have travel time during their vacations?

And I really appreciate being able to carry one device instead of "flesh" books. In a two-week vacation, I can read thousands of pages in just travel, evenings and rainy days. I would not want to have to deal with that much paper.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I hate those digital book things. It's almost impossible to not color outside the lines.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts