Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
everyones trying to make lighter and lighter cross frames. they're as light as road frames now. which is all fine and good. but i thought the reason cross frames were heavier than road frames was because they were reinforced. makes sense...cross frames see much rougher terrain and see much more abuse than road frames. but now they're as light as road frames...does that mean they're weakening the frames? will they hold up to season after season of cross abuse? i know some non-weight weenie roadies don't even like super light road frames because of flex or whatnot.

it's all very interesting...just wondering what direction manufacturers are taking cross frames...

·
You call that running?
262 Posts
celerystalksme said:
everyones trying to make lighter and lighter cross frames. they're as light as road frames now. which is all fine and good. but i thought the reason cross frames were heavier than road frames was because they were reinforced. makes sense...cross frames see much rougher terrain and see much more abuse than road frames. but now they're as light as road frames...does that mean they're weakening the frames? will they hold up to season after season of cross abuse? i know some non-weight weenie roadies don't even like super light road frames because of flex or whatnot.

it's all very interesting...just wondering what direction manufacturers are taking cross frames...
I wouldn't say cross inherently puts more stress on a frame than aggressive road riding and/or racing on less than perfect roads. Speeds are a lot higher on the road for one thing.

Bearings may have a shorter lifespan on a cross bike, but I don't know if I buy that it's harder on frames.

Fidea and Rabobank have been on full carbon Ridleys and Colnagos for a couple years now. Anybody here of cracked frames costing Sven or Lars or Bart a big race? (A TV moto hitting a plastic barricade on the other hand...)

Because of economies of scale and pretty damned good performance of nice alloy frames at a fraction of the cost, I don't see cf cross bikes taking off in the next couple years.

Bottom line if someone wants to give me a BH I'd happily race it (hopefully for years and years). I dig it a lot more than the Ridley X-fire aesthetics-wise.

Edit- Or a Colnago. If someone wants to give me one of those that'd be cool also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.