Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BHS build kit with a SL79 front hub, a SL210 rear hub, and QR100 skewers. I thought I'd upgrade to the internal cam Shimano 6800 skewers so I bought the pair. Unfortunately, the 6800 will not fit into the SL79 front axle. The rear hub was fine. Anyone else have this happen?

Attachments

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Yeah I've seen it quite a bit. Bitex is known for it. Won't take Dura-Ace or Ultegra, etc.

Bontrager has one that fits, the x lite or something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the axle hole is large enough to take the 6800 skewer, but only the end caps have a smaller diameter? I haven't fiddled with the hub, but I saw a YT video where the end caps just slip off (F125 hub).

If the SL79 is similar, I have a drill press and I know how to use it, but drilling anything labelled super light concerns me a little bit. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I removed the end caps, which take a 5mm hex. Using a 13/64 bit to add an extra 1mm diameter in the caps might remove the hex tooling altogether, making removal difficult or impossible. Then there's the weakening of the cap with thinner walls in the dropout. Doesn't seem like a good option for this style hub, at least.

Product Brown Organism Black Grey

Iron Black Metal Circle Natural material

·
Registered
481 Posts
In my case it was just a marginal increase in diameter needed. Just inserted a bit that fit snug and jiggled it about enough to grind the edges a bit and widen the diameter. Nowhere close to a mm. Just a small mod. Worked fine and took no time. If it required coming close to grinding out the hex slot then that would be a bad idea. Didn't measure the skewer diameter, are 6800 wider than previous generation?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts