Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Bialetti espresso maker today and wow, does it make a great cup o' joe. Why has it taken me so long to discover this little corner of coffee goodness?

I also got a Hario hand crank coffee grinder. It's quite a bit of work to grind the beans but it does produce a consistent ground.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
when we had a gas stove i would use one of those. never ever ever ever ever put too much water in there OR let if boil dry. and dont forget to clean under the rubber seal.

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
weltyed said:
when we had a gas stove i would use one of those. never ever ever ever ever put too much water in there OR let if boil dry. and dont forget to clean under the rubber seal.
What rubber seal? Lemme go look.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
il sogno said:
What rubber seal? Lemme go look.
there should be an orange rubber seal somewhere between the top and bottom section joint. i recall it being on the bottom of the top section, along the filter area. just make sure you remove and scour underneath it every now and then.

instructions on use:
http://www.ineightydays.com/archives/passioncoffee/

crazy instructions on cleaning (white film! while film!):
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080818083859AA8KHfM

they do make teh richest espresso, but it takes a large amount of grounds.

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay... yeah. I have a white-ish seal.

I ain't gonna obsess over any white spots.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
We got one around Christmas time, it makes much better espresso than we ever got out of our much more expensive machine and it's easier to use to boot. I might have to have a cup this evening.

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VaughnA said:
We got one around Christmas time, it makes much better espresso than we ever got out of our much more expensive machine and it's easier to use to boot. I might have to have a cup this evening.
A smooth cup o' joe. Yeah. It was love at first sip.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
For the hand grinder, a friend of mine took the handle off of his, put two nuts on the threaded part so they lock, and uses a variable-torque power drill with a 7/16 or 3/8 (insert the size of your nuts here :eek: ) socket at both low torque and speed to spin it.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i dont understand this. why would you attach an electric drill to a hand grinder?

drussell said:
For the hand grinder, a friend of mine took the handle off of his, put two nuts on the threaded part so they lock, and uses a variable-torque power drill with a 7/16 or 3/8 (insert the size of your nuts here :eek: ) socket at both low torque and speed to spin it.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
takes some of the effort out of turning the crank by hand...depending on how much you're grinding, it can take a bit of doing.....

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
We just got one of the stainless steel Bialettis as a replacement for the old and broken Francis Francis X1.

Il Sorgo, I concur with your opening statement. Damn good coffee.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts