Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are lots of "should I buy?" threads hear, but I don't know where else to get any objective information. My LBS has a 2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon SL/SRAM Force that I can buy for $3,000. It is not exactly like the bike on the Bianchi website (http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_hoc_928_sramforce.html) in that it has a FSA RD-220 wheel set instead of the Mavic Ksyrium SL's and the stem, bars, and seat/seat post are slightly different. Instead of a $6800 retail, it is more like $5600 with all the components.

I am pretty much a newbie at the whole road bike thing and it is a huge step up from the Via Nirone/Tiagra that I am on right now. I realize that this a way more bike than I need, or may ever need, but I want an upgrade and at this price should I do it? Or would the geometry and ride characteristics of a race bike not be enjoyable for me for not race style riding? Any help, opinions, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
first of all, and you probably know this already, but be careful of the fit. I believe that bianchi uses pretty short top tubes. Fit, fit, fit.
It sounds like bianchi probably uses fairly standard stem, post, bars, saddle and certainly are lower range wheels.
I'm sure it's an awesome bike that you'll notice a difference on, but don't discount the importance of wheels while considering the bike. I believe that a bike in that price range should have very high calibre wheels. I'm under the impression that fsa220 wheels aren't so hot, but could be incorrect.
you could build a sweet bike with red/force or dura-ace/ultegra sl, or chorus and say hed ardennes or easton wheels.
I'm sure you'll be happy whatever you do. just make sure it fits perfectly for 5 grand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The frame size is a 53 which is the same as the bike I am currently riding. I am 5'10" with a 31" inseam so I think the fit is good. The one I am riding is a more comfortable geometry because it is in their Coast to Coast line of frames, so I'm not sure how big of a difference that will make on longer rides. I have no first hand experience with wheel sets other than the cheap shimanos that I have now. I did some research and have found mixed reviews of the RD-220, so I'm not sure what to think. The whole reason that I am really considering buying it is because it is 3 grand and not the 5+ grand retail price.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Be very careful about the sizing! I'm ~ 1/2" taller than you and currently riding a 55cm Bianchi, and can fit on up to a 58 without too much trouble. There's no way I could go smaller without using a 140mm stem and having lots of spacers.

If 53cm fits I'm guessing you have a massive amount of seatpost exposed; if not I suspect you have (or ought to have) a very long stem as your height has to be somewhere, and needs to be accommodated. Of course, it's impossible to tell anything without seeing you on the bike, or a picture, but I advise caution, especially for such an expensive bike.

Having said that, you will find a massive difference in ride quality between the 928 and Via Nirone; I've ridden both quite a bit and the carbon bike is much more comfortable over bumps, quieter on coarse aggregate and lighter and livelier. Just make sure it really does fit...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good information. When I bought the Via Nirone, I sat on a 53, 55, and 57 and the salesguy told me that the 53 looked like I was in the best position. I would take a picture of me on it for you to look at if I had it here, but it is in the shop for its free first tune-up. Here are a couple pictures that I happen to have of the stem and seat. You think it is too small?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The key is that you have a 31 inch inseam. I have a 32 inch inseam and have ridden a
54cm bike comfortably. I can't really tell from the pictures. Take a pic of you on the bike and you will recieve all the feedback that you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.