Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Bianchi 928 Coast to Coast

15K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  Syndicate 3 
#1 ·
I have been interested in Bianchi's road bikes for some time and am extremely interested in the 928 Coast to Coast. I recently visited a local Bianchi authorized shop and I had the opportunity to check out a new 928 C2C w/chorus which was just amazing. The shop only had one for sale and it was already promised to another customer, plus it was a 58 and I need a 55.

I am interested in getting opinions from anyone who owns or has owned a 928 C2C. Is this bike too "relaxed" for road racing? Ideally, I am searching for something that's still aggressive. I don't plan on doing any significant climbing with the bike. Can someone give me an idea of what the frame and/or complete bike weighs? In the US, what is the turn around time from the time you order a bike from a Bianchi shop and delivery?? Am I better off with another Bianchi frame?

Please feel free to contribute any other pertient information about the bike.

Thank you in advance for your input!

S3

#5 ·
Syn3-

I owned a 928 C2C for just over a season. Mine was the Ultegra model and I upgraded the wheels and eventually the cranks. Great bike, very comfy and mine weighed around 17.5ish maybe a tad more. I got rid of it because I got the bug for an uber light bike. Yeah, yeah, I miss my C2C.

#6 ·
Oh, yeah to the question of too relaxed. I had the 55cm and my saddle to BB is 75cm, so I had about a 4-5cm saddle to bar drop. That was with a Thomson X2 10 degree rise stem. My point is- depending on you saddle height you could slam the stem and get a very aggressive position. I would rather have a little higher bar and when needed get lower on the bike rather than lower the bars. As for the geometry, I did not find it to be too sluggish in the turns, that said there was a difference between the feel of the Bianchi and my current bike.

#8 ·
I have a new C2C 928 with 105. I only have a couple hundred miles on it but I am loving it. Just as discribed it is great for the longer ride and yet still nimble and good handling. I am 6' with a 32" inseam and the 55cm fits good. Only mods are a shorter stem and tubeless tires. Great bike.

#9 · (Edited)
yfdcap said:
I have a new C2C 928 with 105. I only have a couple hundred miles on it but I am loving it. Just as discribed it is great for the longer ride and yet still nimble and good handling. I am 6' with a 32" inseam and the 55cm fits good. Only mods are a shorter stem and tubeless tires. Great bike.
Thank you for resopnding.
How would you compare the bike to other bikes you've owned? Does it accelerate well?
Our dimensions are very nearly the same. How long is the stem that you have on the bike now? Is there anything about the bike that you don't care for?

Thanks again,

S3

#10 ·
Just got a 928 C2C Ultegra last week and have had it out on two rides for about 80 miles total. Really liking the smooth, stable ride, especially on fast downhills; it does seem just a bit slower in the climbs and in accelerating than my previous bike (Novara Trionfo, also Ultegra and compact crankset), though perhaps some of that is due to still getting the fit dialed in.

I swapped out the K-wing handlebars for a K-force Compact; really like the compact drops, but liked the "thumbrests" on the K-wing as well, so still going back and forth on the best fit there. I also went for a 12-27 cassette; everything else on the bike is stock.

#11 ·
bmisf said:
Just got a 928 C2C Ultegra last week and have had it out on two rides for about 80 miles total. Really liking the smooth, stable ride, especially on fast downhills; it does seem just a bit slower in the climbs and in accelerating than my previous bike (Novara Trionfo, also Ultegra and compact crankset), though perhaps some of that is due to still getting the fit dialed in.

I swapped out the K-wing handlebars for a K-force Compact; really like the compact drops, but liked the "thumbrests" on the K-wing as well, so still going back and forth on the best fit there. I also went for a 12-27 cassette; everything else on the bike is stock.
Where did you buy the bike from? Did you have to order it or did the shop have it available for sale?? When you mention that the bike is a bit slower in accelerating, how can you tell? Does it just not have the same jump as your old bike? What's the length of the crank arms?

Thanks for your input.

#12 ·
I got it at Bike Nut in San Francisco - they have Bianchis in stock (along with many other high-end bikes), and this was last year's model so I got a bit of a better price. Impressed with them so far.

Crank arms are the stock FSA carbon 170s.

Sounds like you should try one out (assuming you have access to a shop with one in your size), to answer your questions on feel and performance - it's all pretty subjective!

#13 ·
Syndicate 3 said:
Thank you for resopnding.
How would you compare the bike to other bikes you've owned? Does it accelerate well?
Our dimensions are very nearly the same. How long is the stem that you have on the bike now? Is there anything about the bike that you don't care for?

Thanks again,

S3
I have not owned a roadbike in a long time so everything is much more advanced. I have test ridden a few though (Schwinn, GT. other Bianchi). This bike was smoother, accelerated as fast, and just fit me well. I think alot of the acceleration difference with these bikes is in the wheel set. I did go with a 90cm stem because I am 46 and not limber enuff for the stock position.
I like everything about the bike right now. First major upgrade will wheels down the road.

#14 ·
Only a couple of complaints of the C2C

On my 928 C2C I had a couple minor issues-

1) Internal cable routing- I did not like this for two reasons- One, it rattles. The housing inside the downtube rattles over bumps in the road. Second, and more important- the extra cable housing creates extra friction and if not kept lubed will impact shifting.

2) Some of the components that came on my Ultegra model were and obvious attempt at cost cutting. I'm sure all makers do this but for instance the stock seatpost weight was out of control and I disliked the crankset.

Overall the bike was very comfortable and after a few upgrades- light enough. I felt the performance to be good and it sure got a lot of attention.

#15 ·
This is second-hand information as my buddy bought a C-2-C. Initially, he loved it. He sold his Colnago Dream B-Stay (aluminum main triangle and carbon stays) right after getting it. After about 6 months he started to complain that he wanted the faster handling of a race bike and that the bike just didn't have the edgeyness that his Colnago did and he missed it. He loved the ride qualities but felt that the Colnago was more efficient with every pedal stroke. When he bought the C-2-C he swapped the wheels and components over from his Colnago to the new bike so it wasn't the wheels or components making him feel this way. He eventually sold it and replaced it with a Colnago Master X Lite (all chrome-moly frame and fork) and he loves that bike despite it being heavier than his C-2-C was. He reports that he is much more happy about going for a bike ride on the Colnago than he ever was on the Bianchi even when that bike was new. I'll have to see if he says the same thing in another 3 months or so.

#17 ·
I love the C2C

Good choice. Wife and I both ride the C2C and it's great for the non-racer who wants a well balanced and comfortable road bike. Although I'm athletic, I honestly know that my riding style would not push the C2C to its limits so I have no complaints there.

#18 ·
Glad to help - definitely let us know how it works out for you.

Syndicate 3 said:
I really never anticipated receiving all of the amazing feedback that I have received in this post. Thanks guys!!!

I've placed my order and should have the bike within the next week.

I'll let you know how things work out.

#21 ·
Thanks, Syndicate. No, that's the stock stem (carbon-wrapped alloy, which I'll probably upgrade at some point), and yes, that's the standard compact crank setup. I like that a lot - good fit for the hills we have here in Northern CA.

I did swap out the saddle for a Specialized (Phenom in the pic, now a Toupee), and I've added "Dr. Dobermann" carbon cages and a couple of tri boxes - one on the front stem/top tube and one under the saddle - to carry phone, snacks, repair stuff.

Also swapped out the handlebars for K-Force compact rather than the stock K-Wing regular bars (I think I mentioned that before). I like them, especially for the grip for climbing, but miss the extra position at the ends of the bar on the K-Wings. Hard to sort out which is the best match - but they're both nice bars.

#23 ·
Wow - don't know how to compare as I'm relatively new to road biking and my previous ride had a compact set of chainrings up front as well. I occasionally run out of gears on a fast downhill, and I do seem a bit slower on the uphills with the 12-27 I'm currently running versus the 12-25 on my previous bike. But, so many variables of fitness, fit, power output and so on - really can't say what will work for you compared to me.

#24 ·
I picked up the bike tonight...all I can say is WOW....just amazing....

I'm already working on my fit...Since I ride mostly on flat terrain, I am considering switchign out the compact cranks to regular cranks w/a 54 big ring.

Thank you all once again for your opinions, input and encouragement.

I'll have photos up shortly.

#25 ·
Congrats- I switched out the compact for a Dura-ace crankset after a couple thousand miles. I noticed a difference a first but I would not go back unless I was to go into the mountains. Even then I would try a 12/27 cassette first. If you switch out I highly recommend a DA or Ultegra SL crankset, the ramps and pins make for instant shifting.

Wish you many miles of smiles on your Bianchi.

PS- on the 2007 model C2C the bottom bracket was English threaded, I would be shocked if that was different, but check just in case.

#26 ·
rkb said:
Congrats- I switched out the compact for a Dura-ace crankset after a couple thousand miles. I noticed a difference a first but I would not go back unless I was to go into the mountains. Even then I would try a 12/27 cassette first. If you switch out I highly recommend a DA or Ultegra SL crankset, the ramps and pins make for instant shifting.

Wish you many miles of smiles on your Bianchi.

PS- on the 2007 model C2C the bottom bracket was English threaded, I would be shocked if that was different, but check just in case.
Thank you!

I had my first ride this morning and it felt so nice. Pics to come!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.