Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Just registered a couple of minutes ago. I initially joined to ask this community if they knew the exact bottom bracket measurement for a bianchi brava 2006. I was assuming its 1.37x24 68mm. Can someone validate that?​

Also I just have the frame and I'm trying to make it vintage looking with 7 speed campy components, but I can't find down tube shifters that will fit the slightly bigger down tube of the brava. I thought to find bar end shifters or mitch match a pair of 7 speed straight bar thumb shifters. How should I approach this project?

Othetwise I will just convert it into a single speed. It seems less of a hassle to find compatibility parts...

I appreciate any responses

·
Registered
822 Posts
It'd would best to measure your BB width, it's likely 68 mm wide, but could be 73.

Any old bar-end/bar-con shifters (suntour, shimano or campy) will work in friction mode. Tracking down 7 spd barcons might be more of a hassle.

If it doesn't have the proper mounts (braze-ons) for downtube shifters, don't bother.

Are you thinking about mounting mtb thumbies on a drop bar?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright I'll try and measure it. Also that's what I was leaning towards. I might have to get thumbies for drop bars. I found some old campy ones on eBay but they were going for a lot.
Do you have any recommendations for an old pair like those?

·
Registered
822 Posts
by thumbies for drop bars, do you mean the bar end shifters? These are not the same as mtb thumbshifters, which will only be useable mounted along the top/flat part of the bar (I've never done it, but can't see why not). The bar end shifters/barcons can be easily be used in friction mode up to 8/9 speed, but are a bit more finicky with 10 speed setups, since the spacing between cogs is small. I've never used campy ones, but have used suntour & shimano.
I'm currently using some shimano 8spd ones in STI mode on my commuter/fat tire town mtnbike with some on-one Midge bars. As far as recommendations, the used/older suntour & shimano ones seem to go for ~$40 on ebay. My 8spd ones (mid 90's?) look like the current 10spd Shimano ones, while the 80's Suntours are shorter & rounded. Like downtube shifters, they're dead simple, so last pretty much forever...
I have no idea of the shifting differences on the STI ones of campy vs others is probably different pull ratios between shifts. If shimano, the 8spd should work with 7spd with an extra click, but that may only be for the mtb thumb shifters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.