Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
i am new to this forum it looks pretty cool though.OK my question is this i have just been given a bianchi columbus steel frame and want to build it up with as many modern latest parts as possible.My question is about the bottom bracket there is not one there can i get one for it dont know what type of threads they are or nothing i would like this to be 9 speed bike weather it be shimano or campag. what bottom bracket size would i need if getting catridge type so i can run a 9spd casstte

Thanks SAMMY

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
You'll need to do some measuring before we can help you.

First, measure how big the bottom bracket tube is--this is easy (if you have a ruler that measures in mm)--you just need to put the ruler through the tube and see how long it is. This will give us some idea of whether it's Italian or English.

Then you need to measure the space between the dropouts (where the axle goes) in the back. To fit totally modern stuff in there, you ideally want 135mm of space. If it's less than that, but not too much less, you can most likely spread the frame (the beauty of a steel frame--don't try this with aluminum).

If you give us these two measurements, we'll be able to help you. Until then, we don't have enough to go on.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
If you tell us what columbus tubeset is in the bike, it might help to date the frame. If it SL, it's probably 126mm spacing. On the other hand, if it's TSX, it's 130mm spacing. Late model frames built with TSX tubesets had english bottom brackets.
Is the frame one of their "racing department" frames, or is it a "lower level" frame, with a model name painted on the top tube?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok the measurments are as follows bottom bracket tube is 70mm and the measurment between the dropouts is 130 mm .the frame is as follows bianchi columbus accialo crmo cyclex SLX rinforzi elicoidali the frame numbers under the bottom bracket tube are as follows 3827 and another is 9.f whatever that means.

once again thanks you guys sammy

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
sammy36 said:
ok the measurments are as follows bottom bracket tube is 70mm and the measurment between the dropouts is 130 mm .the frame is as follows bianchi columbus accialo crmo cyclex SLX rinforzi elicoidali the frame numbers under the bottom bracket tube are as follows 3827 and another is 9.f whatever that means.

once again thanks you guys sammy
OK. The 70 mm means it's likely an Italian BB shell. To double-check against your measurements (the English ones aren't a whole lot different--68mm or 73mm typically), you'll need to see if the threading on both sides is the same. If both sides are threaded such that they are "righty-tighty" then you definitely have Italian threading (the drive side threads on English are reverse).

This is not really a problem, as you can get those in pretty much all modern bottom brackets as far as I know, though your local bike shop might not have any in-house.

People will tell you that Italian threading is not good, because there is a possibility of the right-side cup unscrewing in use. But if you keep an eye on it and check the torque from time to time you'll probably never have any trouble with it.

With 130mm spacing, you should be fine with 9 and even 10 speeds. That's modern spacing.(I was thinking MTB spacing/smoking crack when I recommended 135mm)

Grumpy might be able to help dating SLX tubing, but I can't.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
People will tell you that Italian threading is not good, because there is a possibility of the right-side cup unscrewing in use. But if you keep an eye on it and check the torque from time to time you'll probably never have any trouble with it.
When you assemble it, put a little Locktite on the right hand threads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.